Newb Question about cleaning iron artifact

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a guy that knows nothing about artifacs......it looks like a big core/hole saw type drill bit. The brass on the threaded end may rule that out. Is the large end rough or maybe even look somewhat saww toothed? The teeth on a wood or thin metal would look like regular saw teeth. But on a rock or thick metal bit they could look quite different and there probably wouldn't be very many. The round holes would be used to get in and pry the waste material out. I don't know but I'd guess that carpenters in older times used some sort of core bit to drill large holes.
Good luck,
Joe

the large end (away from the brass) appears to be smooth (no teeth) -

Have you ever seen "hard surfacing"? Does it look like there has been welding on the big end? There are bits now that have carbide chips around the end instead of teeth. I have no idea how long hard surfacing or carbide teeth have been around. Keep in mind that I am just guessing. I was hoping that after you chipped the crust off it was gold.
Joe

hehe....ran the gold-o-meter over it and no luck- dunno about a drill bit because of the brass - though that might be too soft

It sort of looks to me like it may be part of a valve or possibly part of a motor casing. Possibly junk tossed from a ship that didn't work. many things are made of brass to prevent an unintentional spark in certain areas.

Interesting, Looks like part of a pump housing (water, maybe sludge) the end resembles some of the inlets on larger pumps that I've worked with (intake side) but, I cpuld be all wet too.

thanks for all the feedback folks :) ....still trying to figure it out...going to take it to a local dive site Sunday (the one and only Scenic Millbrook Quarry) to get some more guesses - if we get a warm weekend day sometime may clean it up some more

very cool - thanks! Took it out and one other diver also thought it was part of a drill - guess I will need to go to dollar general and get a container to set up the tank -

q1. looks like you wrapped the entire artifact in copper wire - is this correct?

q2. was it suspended in the solution?

q3. what did you use for the other electrode?

q4. what voltage was the battery charger set to?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom