Newbie confused about Side Mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fuzzy, why are you looking at sidemount already?

I'd highly recommend taking a class like Essentials or Fundies, and working on your basic skills for a while. I understand that the topography at Monterey makes big gas supplies very attractive, but moving to a large single tank is a better change, I think, than going to doubles right away, no matter HOW you configure them.

I like the idea of being able to put my tanks on in the water instead of walking with one on my back. And the greater trim efficiency. And I just want to try something different. Plus there is redundancy for when I dive solo.

Would I be really close if I go out and buy two regular stage bottle slings?

No, you would not because it is highly unlikely that the rear clip will be correctly positioned for you and 100 percent certain that the front clip will be incorrectly positioned for you.

Why not take a clinic / workshop and have someone who knows what they are doing, help get you set up in the water? You will waste a lot of time and get very frustrated wading through silly answers to the wrong questions.

For example, you asked about tanks but mentioned nothing about your size, what thermal protection you wear, or what you intend to dive. Therefore, there is no value in the answers you are going to be given.

the 100's are good, there is a book ( sidemount, nomounbt diving0 ironically by Dr. Tom Mount, its a good quick reference, hte thing to remember about sidemoiunt its not totally like a deco sling it have to be a bit closewwr streamlined and comfortable and flexible to how you dive, i am a multi purpose diver so right now since i just got back from deployment and moving to acolder state, I need tinme to use my drysuit and get back "my " comfort level on backmount(still on singles, will do doubles by Feb/Mar) and will jump into sidemount at about May, I will be playing with some configs on land since, like oyu I dont't plan to buy a premade sidemount sysem,. I will also cap off and get trained , I plan on finishing my adv trimix this year so that it the plan . I alway advocate training , training, training.you won't need the slings just the metal rings and brass clips

I am also just getting into sidemount now, after several decades diving. What I am learning is that it takes a lot of fiddling around to get the rig right. It isn't yet. You will have to buy some new gear. It feels very different to back mount diving.

I agree that unless you have a good reason, you should get more experience back mount first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom