Newbie gear question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

w0mbat

New
Reaction score
G'day peoples!

I have only done 3 dives at the Great Barrier Reef where you have a DM and can only get 10feet down. I loved it so much I came back and booked into doing a dive course in Sydney (tomorrow!).

The company I am using has a 1yr interest free payment plan on gear, now money isn't too much of a problem, I know with your gear don't stinge - it could be your life. Problem is they only do Oceanic gear, is this good quality? Do you feel I should do it in their gear and buy my gear later (like on ebay or something)?

they are offering -
Probe QLR BCD, Delta 4 FDX-10 Reg, Alpha 7 Occy, Pro Plus 2 Computer and a free impact resistant regulator system case for $694.80 deposit and $53.45 per week (all up $3474 AUD)

Chute 3 QLR BCD, ZX FDX-10 Reg, Alpha 7 OCCY, VEO 250 Combo and a free impact resistant regulator system case for $655.60 and $50.43 per week (all up $3278 AUD).

Are these good deals and equipment? They also have a whole kit of

Oceanic Bat mask, Oceanic vented hood, Oceanic surge snorkel, Oceanipro FX BC, Oceanic PS.D FX, Oceanic Retractor, Oceanic VEO 180 NX Navcon computer, Oceanic Reef pro gloves, Oceanic Mulitfit 7-5 semi-dry superflex, Oceanic Vortex V12 fins, Oceanic Air Classic boots, Oceanic Swivel Occy, Shockwave 2 torch, Gadget gear occy holder, Oceanic 6 Razorback 6 BC knife, Oceanic Delta 4 cdx5 Regulator - for $838deposit, $64.46 per week (all up $4190 AUD).

What are your thoughts of the fins with the split down the middle as well?

Sorry it is so long and thanks for any help you can provide :D

Cheers
w0mbat

Welcome, W0mbat! Good luch on your classes, too!

Do a search on Oceanic in the regulators forum, and I think you'll be pleased to find that most folks posting with Oceanics really like them. They don't seem to have the brand awareness of Apeks or Scubapro, but they are consistently rated highly. Personally, it would seem like a great option to me if I was in your position.

Do you get to try the gear out in class before making a purchase decision? That would be a big benefit, I would think.

I can't be a judge of the prices you listed, because I have no familiarity with the Australian marketplace. But here are a few thoughts...

Oceanic regulators, wetsuits, etc. are pretty good. They don't get the same respect as some other brand names, but there's a lot of it about and it seems to be working just fine. If Oceanic equipment is prevalent in your area, it will probably be easier to find parts and service.

Oceanic Pro Plus II is a great computer, I dive one , love it`s computer usb conection and software for keeping logged dives, ....can`t help with the rest.......see ya` under

Back
Top Bottom