Newbie Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrlevin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So in the middle of my PADI Open Water class and want to purchase some basic gear (mask, snorkel, fins). Any suggestions?

Seems like everyone I speak to has a bunch of experiences with gear as in they are always trying to find better fitting stuff. I understand it will take a bit of time and dives to find the proper equipment that I like.
I just dont want to purchase some gear that I have to junk right away cause it isnt right.
Any suggestions on brands and the like.
The dive shop associated with my class is pushing Scubapro gear...any thoughts?

Scuba Pro is good gear along with OMS for the snorkle, mask and fins.
Mask= Good fit to your face (When you have the mask on with out the strap behind your head suck in a little air through your nose if the mask gets stuck you're good to go)
Snorkle= I don't even carry one anymore for boat diving but go with a basic snorkel that is simi dry and that you can get enough air though, try it out in the store)
Fins = Stay away from split fins.... I like the Scuba Pro Jets myself

Try the new mask on under water before you buy it. I got a Mares X-vision mid and it fit when I did the breath test in the shop. Bought it and got it into the water and it leaks like crazy. Not as good a fit as I thought.

Snorkel, flexible on that can be put in a BC pocket. I hate having them flapping around on my head while under water.

Fins, personal preference..depends on your body type (in my opinion) and the type of kick you prefer or can do. I use long freediving fins which suit my style of kicking.

Scubapro...good stuff, but can be expensive compared to some other brands. You should be able to get it serviced anywhere in the world. Big plus.

Try as many masks out as you possibly can !! The more the merrier !! Everyone has different shaped faces, so keep trying them as outlined above - mask up to face, without the strap on and inhale from nose.
I do like the Mares X-Vision mask myself, and they have diffent size options on this model.
As for fins, I LOVE my Seac-Sub Vela Tre's !
ShopProductImg_PICT2488.jpg

Don't get all excited about the brand or model name. The critical issue is that scuba gear needs to fit properly and be comfortable to you. Skip all the bells and whistles on the basic stuff. You can go with a simple J-tube style snorkle-no purge valve or dry feature needed. The J-tube style of snorkle does take require some learning to use. Fins can be a simple paddle blade. No need for splits, semi splits, fish shapes or hinges. The mask can be very basic as well. It need not have purge valves or color correction lenses. It can have either a clear or solid skirt. It need not be frameless. The one "feature" you may need with a mask is corrective lenses if you wear glasses etc.

You can easily spend upwards of $400 on just the mask, fins, boots and snorkle, going with all the bells and whistles, or you can spend between $100 and $150 for the basic items which will serve you well.

jrlevin:
So in the middle of my PADI Open Water class and want to purchase some basic gear (mask, snorkel, fins). Any suggestions?

That is the hardest question to answer, for someone else, because there are so many directions to go in.

For the mask, avoid the ones with purge valves at the nose. For the lens, if you wear glasses or contacts, get a mask with 2 separate lenses.

For the snorkel, don't get too fancy. This item will help you save air in your tanks by preventing you from having to breathe from your regulator on the surface during surface swims out and back.

For the fins, you need to decide between the bigger freediver-like fins or the smaller technical fins. The big ones are great on the surface, whereas the smaller ones are better for hovering and conserving your air underwater.

A lot of people with weak leg muscles get split fins, but these are also viewed as a hazard under some circumstances.

An adjustable pouch weight belt is nice as well.

Those are the minimum basics, if you are just starting to buy.

Bubble Junky:
Try as many masks out as you possibly can !! The more the merrier !! Everyone has different shaped faces, so keep trying them as outlined above - mask up to face, without the strap on and inhale from nose.
I do like the Mares X-Vision mask myself, and they have diffent size options on this model.
As for fins, I LOVE my Seac-Sub Vela Tre's !
ShopProductImg_PICT2488.jpg

This is what I call the freediver-like fins. They are great on the surface, but underwater they tempt you to burn through a lot of air.

Underwater, it is better to kick as little as possible, and hover instead, steering yourself with your fins. Smaller fins are easier to control yourself with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom