Newbie help; basics about good/cheap diving Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of people that I know who don't dive keep telling me that I need to go to Boracay when I get back. But looking in this board I haven't read anything about Boracay when someone ask for a good dive site in Philipines. Is Boracay a good place to dive or should i just scratch it on my thinkgs to do list?
Boracay is a different experience all in itself. As BabyD said, go there foremost to party, suntan, enjoy the beach and see some some really beautiful girls. The diving is an additional bonus.

Codman:
I will always vote for Puerto Galera for a newby. Great expierence! My wife and I are going to Cebu next Feb. and will add another site to our list. Puerto Galera; Dumagete; Boracay!
SO! many places,too little time.

And remember, when people (especially Filipinos) say Boracay diving isn't that good....it's all relative. They mean relative to the best of the Philippines, but on a world dive site scale...I'd say Boracay rates a 6 or 7 overall and some sites 9. Find an experienced dive shop...Victory, Calypso, Fisheye...with divers who've been there for 15-20 years and know all the "less traveled" sites. There's also a lot of great diving within hours of Boracay...so think about a day trip or overnighter to outer islands in the area.
I would guess a lot of the bad comments come from divers who grudgingly went out with a bad hangover...when any dive would have been pretty miserable. Hah.

Codman:
I will always vote for Puerto Galera for a newby. Great expierence! My wife and I are going to Cebu next Feb. and will add another site to our list. Puerto Galera; Dumagete; Boracay!
SO! many places,too little time.

Excatly my point! To many sites...

Thanks all for your input! My point of entry is flexible! Any airport where I can get a cheap flight. For now, Cebu seems even cheaper than Manilla, but either could do. I'd probably be flying out of Los Angeles, because I can get a free airmiles ticket to there (or Vancouver, but rates are steeper to the Phillipines from there).

Also, what can I expect to pay for a decent basic room (with pricate bathroom, and a fan at least)? Is it better to rent a room and dive op separately? Or, like Roatan, is the all inclusive a better idea??

Thanks again for all your help!:coffee:

rooms range from US$12 to US$35. sometimes, you get a cheaper dive rate if you are also staying with the resort or you get a discount on the room rate if you are diving with their diveshop...

but either option you mention can do. there shouldn't be that much difference.

Oh boy......here we go....another MOF thread in the works.

Boracay is a different experience all in itself. As BabyD said, go there foremost to party, suntan, enjoy the beach and see some some really beautiful girls. The diving is an additional bonus.

You did say party, beautiful girls and diving as additional bonus, right? Just want to make sure. Boracay will definately be on my list to do now for sure :dork2:

You did say party, beautiful girls and diving as additional bonus, right? Just want to make sure. Boracay will definately be on my list to do now for sure :dork2:
hehehe, yep. As hank said, everything is relative. Boracay is a good time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom