Newbie in a drysuit-My ribs hurt!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rudebob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So yesterday I got in dives 3 and 4 with my new suit. Other than still getting used to the slow venting response during ascents (particularly when going from 30 - 10 feet), I feel pretty comfortable with my trim and control. However, I noticed some discomfort on my ribs, presumably from squeeze, towards the end my second dive. However, never at any time during the dives did feel what I would consider excessive squeeze in the suit-certainly not to a level of discomfort or I would of added more air.

This morning my number 7 ribs at the angles are pretty tender to touch. This does not seam right. I try to take care of myself and I am fairly lean so I don’t have a lot of extra body tissue for padding. Presumably, if I maintained optimal trim, this would be one of the lower parts of my body-or higher pressure points during a dive so I guess it could make sense that this might be the first area to feel the effects of extended pressure.

Is this common, a typical newbie issue that will go away with experience, something I am doing really wrong here, or just discomfort I may have to accept to dive dry? The obvious fix would be to keep more air in the suit but I already feel overweighted to begin with and was hoping there was a better answer. FYI I was wearing a trilam with a 100 gram thinsulate undergarment over a thin base underlayer.

Thanks,

'bob

Do you have bruises? That would happened for a bad squeeze.

If not, then I would guess that you just strained yourself (maybe picking up the tanks) and its just coincidence that it happened on your first drysuit dives.

Check for zipper/button/dive wear bunching at this spot? Protruding BC element? Thin dive wear doesn't offer as much padding as thick neoprene.

More air in the suit is probably the best solution, it will keep you warmer as well. You'll want to keep the free air bubble as small as possible, but you still need enough air in the suit so that your dive wear isn't compressed. Look at that article for a better explanation.

Just out of curiosity, how much extra/total weight do you use compared to your wetsuit?

It is possible something like routing the inflator hose under the harness or a zipper pressing on you under the harness could create some sensitivity late in the day/the next day, but other wise, I'm in agreement with Jeff's coincidence theory. It would be almost impossible to squeeze yourself hard enough to injure yourself to that degree in a dry suit due to squeeze and not feel it when you were doing it.

What kind of BCD are you using? The Jacket style sometimes hurt my ribs. I have not had that problem with my BP/W. If you are using a BP/W, it could be that your breathing was elevated slightly or taking deeper breaths in the suit which, though it was not tight enough to squeeze, could have rubbed your ribs enough to cause discomfort.

What kind of BCD are you using? The Jacket style sometimes hurt my ribs. I have not had that problem with my BP/W. If you are using a BP/W, it could be that your breathing was elevated slightly or taking deeper breaths in the suit which, though it was not tight enough to squeeze, could have rubbed your ribs enough to cause discomfort.

Good point. I am diving a Zeagle Ranger. Much of the extra weight I was carrying in the pockets which were loaded with hard weights. I did not even check the positioning of the weight pockets underwater but I think you are on to something. I have never been a fan of weight belts but I may have to get one for dry suit diving.

bob

I have never been a fan of weight belts but I may have to get one for dry suit diving.

Depending on how you rig your setup, there are ways to eliminate the need for as much weight. I use a steel tank when I dive. My single tank adapter for my BP is steel. I then need 5# each side to get down in a drysuit with a single tank (doubles I need no extra weight). When I do carry lead, I put it in removable pouches(scroll down to "quick-attach") on the waist strap of my harness.

I hope your future dives are more comfortable and enjoyable.

-Jeremy

Good point. I am diving a Zeagle Ranger. Much of the extra weight I was carrying in the pockets which were loaded with hard weights. I did not even check the positioning of the weight pockets underwater but I think you are on to something. I have never been a fan of weight belts but I may have to get one for dry suit diving.

bob

I dive dry with a Zeagle Ranger LTD. 34# total, 13# in each front pocket and 4 in each back pocket for trim. With the Ranger, all or parts of the total weight are ditchable. Like you, I'm not a fan of weight belts. I have never noticed any discomfort with the weight in any of the pockets. I've always felt quite comfortable actually. Based on my limited experience, I don't think the issue is with the weight in the pockets. Squeeze or , as another poster suggested, strained muscles.

Weight belts aren't a big deal unless you put excessive amounts of weight on them. Try putting 6-8 lbs. on a belt and the rest in your weight-integrated BCD.

Weight belts aren't a big deal unless you put excessive amounts of weight on them. Try putting 6-8 lbs. on a belt and the rest in your weight-integrated BCD.

I agree with Bubbletrubble. My experience with weight belts was certainly a case of too much weight on my waist. I was still at the point where nobody told me not too. Hopefully, I'm a little smarter now. I'd be fine with 10 lbs on my waist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom