Newbie issues. What is your dive problems stats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will admit there was much use of quite foul language on my part during the BC removal on the surface.

I had to laugh so much at this.... I remember on my OW, the Don and Doff of my BC didn't go the best. I'd have been more successful trying to wrestle with a crocodile. In the End the instructor put me back on the boat to calm down (I was getting frustrated and angry at the BC) On the few times I now have to do it it's easy now, only down to confidence and comfort in the water.

I could not so the deep water exit with tank on my back, even with my 20 pounds of lead pulled out of BP/ W. Had to take it off. I couldn't even bend down enough to get my fins off! Instructor had to do it. I was just beat

Don't stress on that either. I hate shore entries and exits. You only having 20lbs in your DS is good too, I had similar last year when I took my DS course with a lot more dives. as you get more comfortable you'll lose a few lbs at least.well done.

Don't think I will get to dry suit certification anytime soon :)

Next thing is AOW, but I plan to get some experience first and root out all the demons :)

Have fun just going diving (even if the conditions are pants) the more you dive the easier things will get. Right now, I guess you are always consciously thinking about all the mechanics of diving, as you dive more then things like, buoyancy, breathing trim etc all become sub conscious actions and you get to enjoy the dive even more.

Thinks that seem major issues now (say a leaking mask, a bit of current and the like) soon become minor annoyances.

When I started I hated being on the surface. My mask would be tight on my face, a snorkel in my mouth to preserve the gas in my tank (yes I even used to orally inflate my BC on the boat to save gas) I hated surface swims and any current. Now none of that applies, I'm really comfortable and relaxed at the surface (long since stopped taking a snorkel) and as for currents, well I actively seek them out and love hanging out with the big fish, even if it means a hard fin to get there or a wild ride in the current.

You'll look back when you get to dive 30, 50, 100 etc and see how much you've improved and easier it all is.

I had to laugh so much at this.... I remember on my OW, the Don and Doff of my BC didn't go the best. I'd have been more successful trying to wrestle with a crocodile. In the End the instructor put me back on the boat to calm down (I was getting frustrated and angry at the BC) On the few times I now have to do it it's easy now, only down to confidence and comfort in the water.

Glad to have amused you! :wink:

My first few post-cert dives were uneventful because I was very careful in my pre-dive BWRAIF checks, except for a leaky mask that I had to clear every few minutes. I got a new mask that fixed that issue. As I got more experienced, I also got complacent, and sometimes missed things (all minor, thankfully). Like doing a hot drop in Cozumel without having my regulator in my mouth. I did once get my regulator kicked out of mouth at 130 ft in the Devil's Throat, but that was minor as well.

One thing from OW dive weekend I forgot to mention...

My mask has always seemed to slightly leak. I just thought that was normal, but it seemed like I was doing a lot more mask clearing and one of my instructors commented on it. During Dive 3, where you do u/w nav for 10 kick cycles out and back, leading instructor who is holding onto your tank, my mask was flooding so bad, it just took precedence over everything else.

The issue seems to be that I have prominent smile lines on both sides of my face. Interferes with the longer skirt on my mask. Got two other masks with shorter skirts to try, since both seemed to fit well. One will be a backup.

@Marie13 I think you will find your comfort in the water will improve quickly with a mask that does not flood constantly. Looking back I would say flooding masks and getting that damn BCD back on at the surface drove me crazy during my OW too.

Try this:

Loosen your mask straps. Cranking them down makes your mask leak. Unblock your nasal passage now and again to allow your mask to bubble a bit. Relax.

Actually my mask strap was pretty loose. Still flooded. My smile lines are deep creases that do break the seal on the bottom skirt.

Go to a hardware store, get some clear silicone caulk and put a thin round bead on either side of your mask skirt so that they match up with your smile lines?

I was also certified in warm water (SE Asia) and did my first 100 dives there. Switching to cold water diving in Monterey, CA with big waves, cold water, kelp entanglement, limited surface support, lower vis and rough shore entries, introduced quite a few new challenges and hazards. Even with 100 logged dives there was a learning curb to adjust to the new environment. Work with cold water instructors greatly helped me adjust to the new diving. Perhaps you could consider dropping into a dive shop and joining some guided dives/classes to gain experience with the local conditions safely :).

I did my certification dives in the Philippines. Dive #5 was 9 months later, 13C, with a 2 piece 7mm + hood. Tough adjustment.

Back
Top Bottom