Newbie looking for diving opps in New York City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Justwander

Contributor
Reaction score
live in NYC, but am often home in Newport, RI
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I a newbie and am not experienced enough to dive on any charters. Where can I drive to do participate in group shore dives? I need a group, as I don't know too many people who dive here in the City. Come to think of it, I don't know many divers at all.
thanks for any advice.
L

Come out to Dutch Springs if you just want to hone skills www.dutchsprings.com. There's always people around willing to dive with someone new. Check www.wreckvalley.com under the Dutch Springs forum to find a buddy.

Beyond that, hook up with a local dive shop to meet local divers and get into the local dive scene.

thanks much! It seems like in the City they usually only do boat dives. I may have to venture to Long Island to get some shore diving in. Also, I didn't know you could find people at Dutch Springs to dive with. I may get the nerves to do that.

Justwander:
thanks much! It seems like in the City they usually only do boat dives. I may have to venture to Long Island to get some shore diving in. Also, I didn't know you could find people at Dutch Springs to dive with. I may get the nerves to do that.

Justwander: Just wander in to Leisure Pro, Pan Aqua, Village divers, talk to the locals, get "hooked up" wreck alley and NY, NJ, has great diving.

Pan Aqua (on West 43rd between 9th and 10th) runs trips to Dutch Springs and you'll have someone to dive with if you go with them. They charter a bus so if you, like many of us in NY, don't own a car it's quite convenient.

When you feel ready to do some boat diving think about one of the shallower dives on the Jeanne II out of Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn. It's a good boat with a very helpful crew.

Steve

Hey,

I am looking to head out to DS the weekend of 9/15. I was going to dive with my brother but he can't make it. I would be happy to dive with you if you're up for it.

Let me know.

Scott

mdb:
Justwander: Just wander in to Leisure Pro, Pan Aqua, Village divers, talk to the locals, get "hooked up" wreck alley and NY, NJ, has great diving.

Totally agree with this statement. I'm from NY and I spend a lot of time at Leisure Pro and Village divers...

I am new to diving, but I am in the NYC area and agree all of those shops seem like great shops. I am heading out to Dutch Springs on the 15th/16th for my OW certifications. I can let you know the scene at Dutch Springs, how easy it is to find a dive buddy, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom