Newbie needs South Texas recommendations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aerosynth

Contributor
Reaction score
Midwest/Central U.S. is where I hang my hat. Where
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all!

I'm newly certified, actually living in Oklahoma City at the moment. I did my certification dives at Lake Murray this past weekend.

Anyway, I was thinking about doing my first ocean dives in South Texas (Corpus Christi, Port A, that general area). It's driving distance from here, and I am very familiar with the area. I'm curious if anyone knows any groups or dive shops that offer interesting and reasonably priced beginner dives?

I'm the only diver that I know at the moment (LOL) so I don't really have any dive buddies. Just trying to find good people and good diving opportunities where I can hone my skills.

((I also live in Southern California a few months out of the year, and am going back in late August. Anyone with good info or recommendations about LA County and Catalina please speak up also!))

Tim

LOL... You just posted the link to the dive shop that I have been looking at for the past few days! I have been thinking about calling them but, as you said, I was a little unsure how suitable their dives were for beginners. Plus, SPI is a little farther than I wanted to go.

Don't know much about Lake Travis. Seen it mentioned a lot here on the Texas board. Maybe I should look into it? :)

There are two dive shops in Corpus Christi, Texas. One of them is Copeland Dive Shop. I do not know the name of the other dive shop. Check out our website at Laredo Scuba Diving Club
Our scuba boat captain is listed. Give him a call. His name is Rey Gonzalez and does scuba charters to the oil rigs.

Rene,
Divemaster

Copeland's Inc Scuba, Snow Skiing, Corpus Christi, Texas

And

AscubaVenture > Home

Are the two shops in Corpus.

I would say around here Lake Travis, and South Padre are the most popular, however Mammoth Lake, Comal River, and a few other places are all only a few hours drive from Corpus. I know there is jetty diving, but I have never done it and don't exactly know which jettys are dive-able.

The following is a email update from Copelands, it lists some time and dates of dives around.

I know some of you have been asking about diving opportunities this summer, and
here they are!!

First up on the list we have an exciting 4th of July Rig Trip! Ok so it's not
actually on the 4th, but we are going out Sat. July 3rd on a boat called the
Orian. Your trip leaders of course will be none other than Frank and Me, so you
know what that means!!!!! FUN FUN FUN !!!! So far the weather forecast is
calling for calm seas and I have heard some really good reports of the
conditions off shore. This will be a three tank dive, about 25 miles offshore.
For those of you that have never done a rig dive, you are in for a real treat.
Rig diving is my favorite kind, it's like being on a vertical reef and best of
all it's local so you can return to comfort of your own home after the trip!
We will be running 3 other rig trips over the summer, however they will be two
tank dives; Dates are:

July 18th
Aug. 15th
Sept. 5th

Next up on the list we have 2 trips heading down to Port Isabel for a two tank
dive on a Clipper ship that sunk as part of the Artificial Reef Program a couple
of years ago. The boat leaves the dock at 6:30am from Port Isabel and returns
around 3:30pm. This will be the first time for us going out to the Clipper ship,
and it should be a really neat experience. Dates are:

July 31st
Aug 28th (tentative)

We are also offering at least one more Jetty dive this summer. A couple of you
went out with us on the 19th, Hope you all had a good time! The P.A. can be a
lot fun under the right circumstances, you just have to choose your day when the
tides are right and the fisherman are few! We had a lot of fun the last time
out. All though the tropical were not as plentiful as they can be in the later
part of the summer we saw lots of Sargent Majors and Scorpion Fish. There we
also anemones and sea urchins all over the place along with more soft corals
than I have ever seen on the jetties. I can't wait till the later trips to see
what the have to offer when the blue water comes in a visibility gets better!
The only scheduled date we have right now is Aug. 22nd, if you would like to go
and this day does not work for you please let us know, as we are working to try
to get a couple more scheduled before the end of summer.

Flower Gardens Trips are always a good time! Unfortunately this year the boat is
doing it's part trying to protect the TX coast from the Oil Spill Tragedy. The
boats are currently in New Orleans assisting the clean up efforts. They will be
there as long as necessary to do whatever they can to help minimize damage. When
and if they return to regular business this summer we will let you know, as we
do have trips scheduled but we do not at this time think they will going. Just
FYI the oil has not yet moved far enough west to affect the Flower Gardens
Sanctuary.

And last but certainly not least Frank and I will be leading a trip back to Coco
View dive resort in Roatan, Honduras! We will be leaving Nov. 20, staying in
Roatan for the week of Thanksgiving and returning on the 27th. The price of this
trip is $1499 per person, + airfare.

As with all the trips we are offering space is limited so to ensure your spot,
sign up early. For pricing info please contact Copeland's, if you have any other
questions; as always please feel free to shoot me a email or give me a call and
I will more than happy to help!!
GO DIVING!!!!!!!

I would like to add, I have no idea of your abilities or comfort level, but everything I have read about the Clipper makes it sound like it is right on the bleeding edge if not completely past my comfort level as a new(er) diver. Add a current and I would turn the dive immediately.

If you are thinking Lake Travis, there is shore diving from windy point, and a great boat to take you around.

Some Clipper links:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/rocky-mountain-oysters/295427-texas-clipper-july-18-2009-a.html

Texas Clipper review... - Scuba Forum - Scuba Diving Forums and Discussion Board

Lake Travis SCUBA: Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba
Windypoint: Windy Point Park
Mammoth Lake: Home Page

Here is a list you might find interesting: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/texas-swamp-divers/299812-list-all-texas-charters-along-coast.html

Lake Travis this time of year has marginal visibility and marginal things to see, but if you need to blow bubbles it will work :wink:

SPI has clear ocean water, the boat trips to the clipper suffer from tourist pricing and it may be cheaper to fly to Mexico or Florida.

The rig trips are available, however you need to be flexible because they are weather Dependant and usually need at least 6 people before they will even plan one. also there is no hard bottom in recreational limits, so if that bothers you then this is not for you.

the Comal has clear cool (72° ) water but a max depth of maybe 12 ft.

There is a reason we are called Swamp divers.
:D

Lake Travis this time of year has marginal visibility and marginal things to see, but if you need to blow bubbles it will work :wink:
There is a reason we are called Swamp divers.
:D

Actually the vis at Lake Travis right now is very good, last Wednesday I dove Starnes Island with Lake Travis Scuba and the vis at 65' down to 90' was 20 to 30' ! Off windy point when the dive classes are done has been in the 15 to 20' range. Maybe marginal things to see BUT you can see them. That will end soon though :(

Congrats on your certification - lots of fun to be had ahead ;-)

I'd suggest Lake Travis - for the reasons listed above.

IMO, any diving in the gulf is advanced at least. Depth, current, waves & navigation, all present challenges that a basic OW class does not prepare you for.

I'd take some time to enjoy getting some dives under your belt in the local lakes, then take an Adv. OW class. The class will be more meaningful if you have some experience and the class addresses the concerns r/g ocean diving above.

You can find more places to get wet here: Texas Dive Sites

Have fun and safe diving.

Just wanted to add Broken Bow Lake in SE Oklahoma has some nice dives. And they're COOOOLLLLLLLDDDDDDD down deep when it's hot up top. Take a light.

Also, you must be from West Texas if you consider Corpus to be within "driving distance".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom