• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Newbie needs South Texas recommendations.

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Aerosynth, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Aerosynth

Aerosynth Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Hi all!

I'm newly certified, actually living in Oklahoma City at the moment. I did my certification dives at Lake Murray this past weekend.

Anyway, I was thinking about doing my first ocean dives in South Texas (Corpus Christi, Port A, that general area). It's driving distance from here, and I am very familiar with the area. I'm curious if anyone knows any groups or dive shops that offer interesting and reasonably priced beginner dives?

I'm the only diver that I know at the moment (LOL) so I don't really have any dive buddies. Just trying to find good people and good diving opportunities where I can hone my skills.

((I also live in Southern California a few months out of the year, and am going back in late August. Anyone with good info or recommendations about LA County and Catalina please speak up also!))

Tim

2. ianr33

ianr33 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
  3. Aerosynth

Aerosynth Nassau Grouper

LOL... You just posted the link to the dive shop that I have been looking at for the past few days! I have been thinking about calling them but, as you said, I was a little unsure how suitable their dives were for beginners. Plus, SPI is a little farther than I wanted to go.

Don't know much about Lake Travis. Seen it mentioned a lot here on the Texas board. Maybe I should look into it? :)

4. Laredo Scuba Diver

Laredo Scuba Diver Nassau Grouper

There are two dive shops in Corpus Christi, Texas. One of them is Copeland Dive Shop. I do not know the name of the other dive shop. Check out our website at Laredo Scuba Diving Club
    Our scuba boat captain is listed. Give him a call. His name is Rey Gonzalez and does scuba charters to the oil rigs.

Rene,
    Divemaster

5. deadly_risk

deadly_risk Barracuda

Copeland's Inc Scuba, Snow Skiing, Corpus Christi, Texas

And

AscubaVenture > Home

Are the two shops in Corpus.

I would say around here Lake Travis, and South Padre are the most popular, however Mammoth Lake, Comal River, and a few other places are all only a few hours drive from Corpus. I know there is jetty diving, but I have never done it and don't exactly know which jettys are dive-able.

The following is a email update from Copelands, it lists some time and dates of dives around.

6. deadly_risk

deadly_risk Barracuda

I would like to add, I have no idea of your abilities or comfort level, but everything I have read about the Clipper makes it sound like it is right on the bleeding edge if not completely past my comfort level as a new(er) diver. Add a current and I would turn the dive immediately.

If you are thinking Lake Travis, there is shore diving from windy point, and a great boat to take you around.

Some Clipper links:
    http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/rocky-mountain-oysters/295427-texas-clipper-july-18-2009-a.html

Texas Clipper review... - Scuba Forum - Scuba Diving Forums and Discussion Board

Lake Travis SCUBA: Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba
    Windypoint: Windy Point Park
    Mammoth Lake: Home Page

Here is a list you might find interesting: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/texas-swamp-divers/299812-list-all-texas-charters-along-coast.html

7. SailNaked

SailNaked Dive Charter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Lake Travis this time of year has marginal visibility and marginal things to see, but if you need to blow bubbles it will work :wink:

SPI has clear ocean water, the boat trips to the clipper suffer from tourist pricing and it may be cheaper to fly to Mexico or Florida.

The rig trips are available, however you need to be flexible because they are weather Dependant and usually need at least 6 people before they will even plan one. also there is no hard bottom in recreational limits, so if that bothers you then this is not for you.

the Comal has clear cool (72° ) water but a max depth of maybe 12 ft.

There is a reason we are called Swamp divers.
    :D

8. paulw

paulw Solo Diver

# of Dives:
    Actually the vis at Lake Travis right now is very good, last Wednesday I dove Starnes Island with Lake Travis Scuba and the vis at 65' down to 90' was 20 to 30' ! Off windy point when the dive classes are done has been in the 15 to 20' range. Maybe marginal things to see BUT you can see them. That will end soon though :(

9. Zinc

Zinc Divemaster

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Congrats on your certification - lots of fun to be had ahead ;-)

I'd suggest Lake Travis - for the reasons listed above.

IMO, any diving in the gulf is advanced at least. Depth, current, waves & navigation, all present challenges that a basic OW class does not prepare you for.

I'd take some time to enjoy getting some dives under your belt in the local lakes, then take an Adv. OW class. The class will be more meaningful if you have some experience and the class addresses the concerns r/g ocean diving above.

You can find more places to get wet here: Texas Dive Sites

Have fun and safe diving.

10. ZzzKing

ZzzKing Solo Diver

Just wanted to add Broken Bow Lake in SE Oklahoma has some nice dives. And they're COOOOLLLLLLLDDDDDDD down deep when it's hot up top. Take a light.

Also, you must be from West Texas if you consider Corpus to be within "driving distance".