Newbie, Poor Diver or Jerk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it the purpose of this board to beat each other up. Come on fight nice.

all4scuba05:
I've only got 30 dives under my belt. I've yet to find myself getting that close to anyone I dive with. This has nothing to do with newbies needing a little time to learn about those skills mentioned. If its mentioned in the preplan that there should be a 10 foot space between him and I then he better be able to keep it. If he gets within 5 because he's too scared when further away, then pay a DM to hold your hand and help you get over your fears sooner.

Exactly what sort of "preplan" requires a 10 foot space?

Are you highly radioactive? Unpredictable? Dangerous in some other way?

Terry

I can see way you where upset. You have séance handled it with the newbie like me. after 37 dives I don't it all down yet.
I think that I spend a third of my time looking for my dive buddies. They do there thing because I do not ever wont to bump them. When they go the other way I have to catch them. So I just stay five feet over and to the side. I do seam to be by my self a lot but that does not bother me. Then I turn around and there they are looking at me. They are looking out for me but sometimes I don't see it.
I have to say allthow I am new I have four deferent divers with 100's of dives call and ask if I wont to go. That makes me fell good.
With that said I go out on the dive boats. I am always with a new diver. It does not bother me but sometimes I ask myself was I that bad with my buoyancy and I hope I am not now.

pir8:
Is it the purpose of this board to beat each other up. Come on fight nice.
As someone used to say "Bring on the popcorn.":D

Damselfish:
Well if you don't want opinions, or have a quota of how many of a particular opinion is acceptable to you, or take offense easily, I'd suggest not posting on a public message board.

Have I logged on to TDS????:D :D

Oh by the way...:lurk:

Have I missed anything...:D

Web Monkey:
Exactly what sort of "preplan" requires a 10 foot space?

Are you highly radioactive? Unpredictable? Dangerous in some other way?

Terry

Not all my dives require the same preplan. Do you dive the same in a 50ft viz dive as you do in a 2ft dive? Most of my dives with buddies are in 20ft+ viz. Why would you need to be closer to me than 10'. When I'm paired up with an instabuddy, I make it clear to him that I don't want him closer to me than 10'. I don't dive with instabuddies in bad viz conditions. Why? Because I don't know how you dive and am not gonna make my dive more risky with a stranger bumping into me or disappearing all the time. Its a big ocean. There's plenty of room.
I don't fear much underwater. So I don't need you that close to me. If we can see each other then that's good enough. We need to be constantly aware of each other incase _hit happens. That's all. I don't need you holding my hand. If we're aware of each other then 10' is not too far to reach you to help you in most cases.
To answer your question. I want the 10' space to protect me from you and you're mistakes. You're not going to bump into me at that distance. If you're coming after me it better be for air and you can take it out of my mouth and you can rip it from my mouth for all I care. Do you find yourself needing someone closeby everytime you dive?

Sounds like you're a candidate for the solo diver class from SDI

all4scuba05:
When I'm paired up with an instabuddy, I make it clear to him that I don't want him closer to me than 10'. I don't dive with instabuddies in bad viz conditions. Why? Because I don't know how you dive and am not gonna make my dive more risky with a stranger bumping into me or disappearing all the time.
If you can't handle a bump, your dives are already risky. There should be no accidental action another diver can take that you can't easily recover from.

all4scuba05:
I don't fear much underwater. So I don't need you that close to me. If we can see each other then that's good enough. We need to be constantly aware of each other incase _hit happens. That's all. I don't need you holding my hand. If we're aware of each other then 10' is not too far to reach you to help you in most cases.
To answer your question. I want the 10' space to protect me from you and you're mistakes.
Since you're obviously "SCUBA Superman", it's time to step up to the plate and be a good buddy for those with less developed skills.

You're not going to bump into me at that distance. If you're coming after me it better be for air and you can take it out of my mouth and you can rip it from my mouth for all I care. Do you find yourself needing someone closeby everytime you dive?
I choose to remain near my buddy in case my assistance is needed, or I need assistance. If I'm getting bumped, I take it as a sign that the other diver needs practice, reassurance or help.

Terry

I take it you're not into ballroom dancing either.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Dave Zimmerly:
I take it you're not into ballroom dancing either.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Gotta watch that 10' "No Fly" zone. :cool:

Terry

Back
Top Bottom