Newbie Q's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for the Hijack, Alex, where in Canada have you been backpacking? That's something I've been wanting to get into as well. If I ever have time of course.

cuddlefish:
The last DAN seminar I went to (Diver's Alert Network)..included some statistics...

Deaths in the US in 2005:
90 diving
700 boating
3,000 accidents in their home

I think this data is accurate, but it reflects only death reported to DAN. I would double or triple that for the true value. If you are a member of DAN, you can log on and see the break down of the cause of death.

I do not belive the diving magazines and the sales pitch of dive shops who claim that diving is "safer than being a passenger in a car, and is safer than bowling". This is exaggerated, and demonstrate the misuse of statistics.

In the ideal environment - new or newly serviced equipment, fairly experienced diver with a good diving buddy, lack of surface boat traffic, lack of threatening current and waves at point of entry and exit, good dive planning, etc... diving can be very safe.

But if you make a wrong decision to dive in the wrong environment, or trust your boat captain to go out on rough sea, it is dangerous - and alot more dangerous than spending a few hours at the bowling alley!!! :wink:

dave8888:
First I would like to ask exactly how dangerous is this sport?

Watch out for them stingrays. :maniac:

What was your second question?

Those numbers mean absolutely NOTHING without further data. You need to know how total hours are spent diving and total hours spent in the home. Now take the number death and divide it by the total hours for each activity, and that will give you a better idea. But absolute number of death is meaningless. I hate it when people misuse stats to support their claim. Of course the number one cause of death is being born.

Now back to the original question: I personally think diving is a safe hobby. I try not to go beyond my training or capabilities. In addition, I try to take extra safety precaution where ever possible. If I didn't think that diving can be done safely, I would have not permitted my 12 year old daughter to dive.

Minh

cuddlefish:
The last DAN seminar I went to (Diver's Alert Network)..included some statistics...

Deaths in the US in 2005:
90 diving
700 boating
3,000 accidents in their home

Obviously there are more people "in their homes" than diving...but you can see how hanging out in your own home can be dangerous. You might as well get out there and enjoy the world...above and below the water.

Be careful and have fun.

bah i was going to post the figures from the PADI rescue diver book, then i noticed it said "1991" LOLZ
anyways it states 4 injuries per annum for every 10 000 divers

verybaddiver:
bah i was going to post the figures from the PADI rescue diver book, then i noticed it said "1991" LOLZ
anyways it states 4 injuries per annum for every 10 000 divers

Horse poopy!!

Every dive I've went on, diver's have gotten cut, scraped, banged up... Lies, lies, lies.....

Now, if it stated, "serious injuring requiring doctor's care", that's a different story.

i think its reported injuries, hence its statistics, not word of mouth :]

Not much more to add here. But I'd say its very much like flying - safe but very unforgiving if things go wrong.

If you read some of the accident reports they never start "It was a beautiful day, all my gear had been serviced, I'd done some checkout dives, I was diving well withing my experience limits and my buddy was as experienced as me. We did a full dive plan...etc etc etc. With all accidents it seems as though a small problem compounded with other issues, often inexperience / rank stupidity( - eg caving without lines...) to create a serious situation. There always is something like...." we thought it would be OK, I figured the reg freeflow was not so bad,....I panicked as I'd never been so deep....you know the stuff.

In short I truly beleive that the majority of incidents ( and the're thankfully not that many) are preventable - not just with hindsite but through judgements and planning.

My advice is enjoy the sport, but have total repect for the sea, and dive within your limits.

I can name a few stupid dives I've made... Should have known ... But inexperienced.

I think both the diver, and the dive boat owner, share equal blame when they go and dive in bad weather. The diver shop wants to make money, the diver wants to get another dive in. Or wants to maximize the number of dives on a "prepaid" diving week.

This adds up to accidents. That's why I don't believe in "prebooking" a week or two of diving. You dive only if your health and the weather permit... If not, hang out at the pool...

Ditto to what everyone else has said about the sport being as safe or dangerous as you make it. I've been diving for 34 yrs and hope to dive another 34 yrs. Respect the ocean, the life below and follow the rules and you'll have a great deal of enjoyment from the sport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom