newbie question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hi sangP nice to have someone in here from singapore too!
all these questions i'm asking is out of curiosity, i maybe buying my equipments soon..
so just checking in every single way so tat i wont be ignorant when at the shop..

I'm from around here too and I've very puzzled by your questions.

Some hoses are different in size but why are you asking about these things? What's wrong with the standard inflators on the bcd?

SangP

i just wanted to know if the difference in size would affect anything eg. performance,
power of inflation, etc..

I can imagine a scenario where you might want to mix a match. Like if you want a low profile Octopus that stays out of the way but want a robust primary 2nd stage. I have seen people do that, but ou have to do your homework before reconfiguring in such a way.

The main consideration that I can think of is matching the intermediate pressure of the regulator. Let's take Poseidon regulators for example (now please excuse my lack of specific intermediate pressures here, just take this as a rough cut example).

The 1st stage used by Poseidon for the Cyklon has one of the highest intermediate pressures I have come accross. Many 2nd stages cannot be connected to it because they cannot "handle" that intermediate pressure. I am not sure what the acceptable differential is, but this is one reason not to mix and match unless you check with a qualified technician first. The other thing to watch out for is that different regulators made by the same manufacturer can have very different intermediate pressures. In the scenario above you can see that there would be a problem if you just assumed "they are all Poseidon regulators, so I can swap out as I like".

Good luck

Al Yafi

hey jim! thanks man! so every regulator uses the same hoses..
a stupid question if i buy my regulator will i have to buy the hoses or are they included..
and is it ok to use other brand of regulator for my octo?

alrighty! i will keep that in mind..for the mean time i think i will stick to the same brands..i was thinking about cressi hows tat?

Hey dude. Leave your credit card at home and go finger some stuff.
1. New yes. Second hand maybe?
2.If you install an alternate breathing device to your bc the hose will be different at the device end.
3. Some regulators 30, 20, 10, years ago Aqualung, Dacor, Apeks, came in or had the option of 1/2 inch.
4. Ok. Leave your credit card at home and go finger some stuff.
5. There are adaptors for some alternate breathing devices to standard hose, but some folk will tell you that you are restricting flow. Better than disconnected ay?
Read the Hawaii dudes stuff. He's got some good stuff.
Cressi is good.

Very slow typist.

alright thanks mate! u guys are a great help! i hope i am not i irritating you guys with nonsensical questions..HAHA! beginner here and wants to learn a hell lot!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom