Newbie Regulator Questiom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptAl

Registered
Reaction score
As a recently certified diver, I've been lurking (and learning) on this board for about a month. I now need to draw on your expertise.
I have a chance to purchase a Mares R2 Axis regulator through a private deal. When I get to the end of an exhale (regulator not attached to tank), I can hear the diaphragm vibrate. It sounds somewhat like a kazoo. Is this normal? Will it make this sound during a dive? For various reasons, I am not in a position to try it out on a dive.

Hey Capt. Al...

First off welcome to the board... I hope you will learn a lot and make many new friends while here.

Many regs can produce various noises while dry... most of these disapear when they become wet. If this is a used regulator, make an agreement to have the seller have it serviced first before you buy.

I've heard this buzz before usually in rental regs. I have been told that it is because the diaphram is dry and it goes away when the reg gets wet. So far it always has.

More importantly, a reg is life support equipment. I'd do two things myself. First, can you get the thing serviced at your local LDS (affordably and by trained staff - not by the "I can fix anything" guy in the back) Second, if you can't try it on a dive, how about a pool, or having your LDS at least check it out? It would have to be a heck of a deal for me to buy it sight unseen, because my life would depend on it.

I hope it works out well for you but even more I hope that you dive safe and post again.

Howdy from Texas Capt. Al!! We are glad you decided to join the conversation.

Both of the above have nailed this on the head.

I've also moved this thread under the Regulators section since it is more appropriate to that forum.

We hope to hear more from you!

--TexasMike

If you dont mind me asking, how good of a deal are we talking about? You can get a new Mares Axis from Sports Chalet for like 189.00 Plus 89.00 for the yellow Mares Axis Octo (same reg just yellow cover)

Badfish,
It belongs to a "friend of a friend" who bought it new and used it on approx. 20 dives this summer. He has a chance to obtain a very high end reg at a good price and will sell me the Mares for $100 (no octo) but I must act fast since there are others standing in line with money in hand. He claims it is in excellent condition and the noise is a result of a dry diaphragm (as posted above) and says he'll stand behind it. Too good of a deal to pass up. I believe I will buy it.

Well if he is going to stand behind it then i would go for it. Just be sure you have it serviced to be safe.

Happy Diving

BadFish

sounds like a good deal,

only 20 dives,, uh take your friend at his word but go dive it first.

then get it serviced so you know beyond a doubt that you got a good deal

Back
Top Bottom