newbie terminology questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

del_mo:
What 2905luvsbubbles said. Dive shops have distinct personalities. Some aren't very friendly, some are. Find the one that melds best with yours.

I couldn't agree more. I was certified 2 years ago, but was too busy to dive until last June when I went on a trip with my LDS.

There are 4 dive shops in town and my LDS is the only one that I remotely liked. The trip leader from last year was in the process of purchasing the shop and completed it when we returned. If he had not obught the shop, I probably wouldn't still be diving. I was very nervous as a new diver. Not about diving, but about people. My LDS owner makes diving and traveling with his groups very fun.

Since that first trip last June, I've been on 5 more trips with them plus two of my own and I've made ~120 dives.

Finding a shop where you can be yourself, not feel pressured to comstantly spend money, and can enjoy yourself will make diving much more enjoyable for you.

If you want to learn all about the equipment, walk into you "LDS" and ask them to show you goggles, flippers, and an oxygen tank!

Originally Posted by MattyB4x4
i know i know...:dork2:.

Colliam7:
Use the Search function at the top of the page, and enter the word 'Abbreviations'. There are several good recent threads that may help.And, be sure to do a search on 'Dork Divers' There is a great set of threads on that topic (and that unofficial but rather large group), which are really quite informative, and enjoyable as well. No, you are not a 'dork' for asking. Asking questions and (hopefully) getting helpful responses and useful information is what SB is all about. We all have to start somewhere.

And a friendly group they are. link to forum

Dave

Here are some links that were useful to me when I was starting out:

Scuba Knowtes

This site contains notes on a variety of topics. I received this from a diver named Pete here on ScubaBoard.

Scuba Guide

This site is divided into five main sections:
  • Introduction to Scuba what is scuba, the history of recreational scuba diving, and an introduction to many different scuba diving types.
  • Scuba Diving Certification a primer on the subject of scuba training, scuba programs and scuba certification.
  • Scuba Local NEW! A geographic directory of dive shops and dive spots. Find scuba facilities and underwater destinations near you or near your next vacation spot, rated by user reviews.
  • Scuba Diving Gear your guide to the world of scuba gear. Choose the best gear for your scuba adventures.
    Featuring: the Scuba Gear Directory. Thousands of products lined up and rated by user reviews.
  • Diving Vacations Scuba diving vacations, dive shops and how to plan your trip underwater.
:snorkels:

I wanted to find out more about diving before I took my classes and found several LDS around and a few were just right for me. I like to go hang out, get information, buy my equipment from them (don't use them for info. and buy on the internet), and make friends with common dive likes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom