Backmount vs BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the replies. So, if I get this straight, as long as your harness is not a continuous webbing, that it's tightly fit, and that you don't plan on using an UW scooter, a crotch strap, unless coming with your bcd, is not an actual requirement for a back inflation system, pretty much as it would be for a regular vest type bcd.
And get a normal bpw harness. No need for a chest strap.

Get 4 of these for your rig weights:
Weight pouches and droppy things are obsolete. The highland plates can go on your shoulder straps, if you like, for head down trim. I removed weight from my cam band and switched to those.

Bring a nice weight belt as well.

Now, MidOH mentionned that a chest strap is useless, which does kinda surprise me since I'm also a regular backpacker, and although the chest strap is not what you would rely on for the actual correct set up of a harness, it still helps heaps when it comes to securing the shoulder straps and maintaining the optimal positionning as well. Would you mind elaborating your vision on this furthermore?

Thanks for the replies. So, if I get this straight, as long as your harness is not a continuous webbing, that it's tightly fit, and that you don't plan on using an UW scooter, a crotch strap, unless coming with your bcd, is not an actual requirement for a back inflation system, pretty much as it would be for a regular vest type bcd.

Now, MidOH mentionned that a chest strap is useless, which does kinda surprise me since I'm also a regular backpacker, and although the chest strap is not what you would rely on for the actual correct set up of a harness, it still helps heaps when it comes to securing the shoulder straps and maintaining the optimal positionning as well. Would you mind elaborating your vision on this furthermore?
It really depends, I can’t use a continuous webbing harness without a chest strap, some people can, there are NO absolutes.

Yes, crotch straps are less important if you have adjustable shoulder straps and you can snug them up to keep the rig stabilized.

The chest strap is optional. I have never felt the need for one but if it helps, as in Lex's case, then by all means do it. Just don't cinch it down too tight and restrict your breathing.

WRT to the hiking comparison -- the dynamics of a BC underwater (neutrally or positively buoyant depending on where your weights are) are completely different to a heavy backpack on land. You do carry the BC on land for short periods but it's not like a backpack that you are carrying all day, so the two situations don't equate. Unless you feel the shoulder straps are slipping off, I would forgo a chest strap.

My coldwater BCD is an Apeks WTX Deluxe and I find the chest strap a big help. Can I dive with it unclipped? Absolutely. Does clipping make everything feel nice and snug? Definitely. It also has quick-release buckles on the shoulder straps that are a huge help to me when getting out of the water (drysuit + thick midlayer does not make for great flexibility.) Would I dive it in a cave? Definitely not. And like Lexvil mentioned, sometimes the chest strap is necessary. I actually had to add one to my buddy's Ghost because her shoulders weren't wide enough to keep the straps in place.

In my experience (our family of divers), chest straps are a need for divers that are; (1) barrel chested or (2) long waisted...

We all use crotch straps, but instead of the common one, we use split saddles (don't scooter) on recreational rigs. I use a conventional crotch strap on my tech doubles.

It really depends, I can’t use a continuous webbing harness without a chest strap, some people can, there are NO absolutes.
Agree completely,; way too much diversity between people with respect to shape of chest and also activities performed underwater, also preference about how tight you want your whole harness. Cross chest strap and crotch strap tighten things up for me underwater, which is what I prefer.

That's actually what I dive now. Very light and easy to pack, and the price can't be beat. However, I would highly suggest replacing the plastic screws that hold the harness to the wing with metal ones (DGX Assembly Screws, Metal, Set of TWO). The plastic ones lasted exactly two dives. Otherwise build quality is good.
View attachment 828087

Directly from the DGX website "Note: we do NOT recommend using these screws to secure wings to backplates. The metal screws will not allow the cylinder to lay flat and in addition they may scratch your tank. We suggest you use the plastic assembly screws for that purpose."

I have been using their plastic assembly screws without any issues

Maybe my shoulders are too broad.

Chest strap is useless on me, and the missus. On land the straps dig in, right in front of our shoulders. Bringing the shoulder straps in with a chest strap does nothing, but aggravate our chest.

Most of my better backpacks have evolved to no longer use a chest strap. My Gregory uses one still. But my Hyperlite Junction and Gossamer Gear, do not.

In the water, our shoulder straps do nothing. Barely touching us. Seems like Bpw's just barely ride on us, loosely. The slightest friction from any strap, or our wetsuit, keeps it in place fine. Naked feeling compared to a bcd.

My crotch strap is relatively loose as well. Rig has only rode up on me once, and that was operator error. Surfacing too positive.

Directly from the DGX website "Note: we do NOT recommend using these screws to secure wings to backplates. The metal screws will not allow the cylinder to lay flat and in addition they may scratch your tank. We suggest you use the plastic assembly screws for that purpose."

I have been using their plastic assembly screws without any issues
Interesting. In my case it was an emergency repair in the tropics with what was available, but my screws are pretty similar to the ones I referenced, so I went with that. Rental AL80's are usually pretty rough looking in the best of times, so any scratches were unremarkable to me or the operators if there was any rubbing. I also didn't notice any positioning issues. All of this might be a very different situation with steel tanks. It also sounds like I just got unlucky with the original screws stripping out, but I was nearly pulled off the boat preparing to roll in. I do appreciate the call out, though, as making a non-vendor approved suggestion should at least make mention of the fact on my part.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom