newbie wants to know....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubachanic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
i recently bought my first reg. when my bc,guage set and octo arrive can i screw them on my reg myself? keep in mind i am a mechanic so i know a little about how things work. however this is not an automobile i know. sooo is this doable or should i be aware of anything unseen? thank you

No, it is pretty much what you see is what you get. Unscrew plug - screw octo / guage / power inflator into resultant hole.

The High Pressure port (for the SPG) is slightly larger than the other LP ports. I have an interesting story from the old days when they all used to be the same size...

No, it is pretty much what you see is what you get. Unscrew plug - screw octo / guage / power inflator into resultant hole.

The High Pressure port (for the SPG) is slightly larger than the other LP ports. I have an interesting story from the old days when they all used to be the same size...

Ditto on what he said. But a Dive Center might have suggestions for routing of the hoses/First Stages in a streamline manner.

Not rocket science. Test in a confined water area before diving.

Safe Diving

Tony Flaris
NAUI #44662
SSI #26849

i recently bought my first reg. when my bc,guage set and octo arrive can i screw them on my reg myself? keep in mind i am a mechanic so i know a little about how things work. however this is not an automobile i know. sooo is this doable or should i be aware of anything unseen? thank you

Please don't mess with life support equipment unless you're a certified technician!!!

Just kidding!!!

By all means, screw the hoses and stuff in yourself. Just make sure you don't put the LP stuff into the HP stuff or you'll find out the hard way.

Also, don't forget to lube the O-rings with silicone grease (that you get at a dive shop).

Yes, changing or putting on hoses is not nearly as difficult or dangerous as changing a hydraulic brake booster. Besides, how many divers even know what a flare nut wrench is much less have them in 10 sizes.:wink: Just don't over torque them and go diving.

Well, yes and no. Installing them is not a problem, screw on hand tight and snugg, no real torque needed but then comes the rubb. The first and second stage need to be checked for proper operation and possibly adjusted, not super difficult but you need the tools and knoweldge. Kinda like installing a carb, pretty much anyone can bolt one one but you need to know what you are doing to set the float level and adjust the mixture. It may work out of the box but to get the best out of it, it needs to be checked and adjusted by someone with the tools and knowledge. I encourage you to lean how it's done, I am a big fan of DIY but like cars, you do need some special tools and a little knowledge to do it correctly.

be sure to keep your plugs..if you change your setup later on you may need them. IE, if you change your "octo" out for one of the low pressure inflator/octo combo then you would need to replug the hole.

I bought my reg outfit online, and they were assembled for me at no charge...:hm:

Personally, I'd go to a dive shop that was a registered dealer for the brand and make sure it was done properly by an experienced tech [and I'm a pretty handy guy too, in most ways]. I wouldn't take chances with critical life-support equipment. Be sure to drop a few bucks in the shop on other gear you need...supporting your Local Dive Shop is a good policy, even if you do buy some stuff online.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom