Newbie wetsuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikkilj

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi again! I'm shopping for wetsuits, and the one that I've found that fits best so far is actually an XCel 4/3 Infiniti. Is the 4mm on the trunk area going to be overkill for the Caribbean dives I plan on doing? I tend to get cold easily (at least out of the water that is), and I don't anticipate that being any different once I'm actually submerged. I usually take a light sweater to Houston restaurants and movie theaters because I am freezing otherwise. I have also been told that if I get too warm, I can always stretch out the neck and let some cool water in.

My other question is if it will be enough exposure protection for local diving, taking the thermoclines into consideration. I will obviously add a hood if needed, but it would be great if this suit would work for both cooler local and warmer caribbean diving.

My other option is to have LDS order an XCel Icon 3/2 suit, which I could then layer with a shorty for cooler dives.

Any thoughts?

-=* Mikki *=-

for the caribean i would say that is a bit much .but as far as diving around here you will like having it if you go deep or below the thermoclines.

derrick

If you're cold natured, a 4/3 may be what you need. And yes, letting in some water will cool you off. I do that with my .5ml but then I have to squish out the extra water!

Another alternative would be to get a 3ml full suit and layer it with a 2-3ml hooded vest. This will keep your trunk, neck and head warmer. It could also depend on where your 'cold spot' is. You know, that one place that if you can just cover it up you're warm? Mine is my upper arms, Beast's is the back of his neck. Depending on where yours is, maybe a hooded vest is all you need for extra warmth or maybe a shorty. Keep in mind that alot of shorties also have long sleeves. I usually cut them off just above the elbow!

I hear ya on the cold ! ... and yes I dive in Florida and water is often in the mid 70s and I wear a full 3.2 mil and 5 mil hooded vest to keep warm. I was finally toasty and comfortable when I added the hooded vest over just my hood. If you are cold natured then I would say the 4.3 would be great.

Personally I would rather buy a wetsuit that is a bit too thick than one too thin. I find its much easier to cool off than it is to warm up =) and no one likes diving with the shivers!

mikkilj:
Hi again! I'm shopping for wetsuits, and the one that I've found that fits best so far is actually an XCel 4/3 Infiniti. Is the 4mm on the trunk area going to be overkill for the Caribbean dives I plan on doing? I tend to get cold easily (at least out of the water that is), and I don't anticipate that being any different once I'm actually submerged. I usually take a light sweater to Houston restaurants and movie theaters because I am freezing otherwise. I have also been told that if I get too warm, I can always stretch out the neck and let some cool water in.

My other question is if it will be enough exposure protection for local diving, taking the thermoclines into consideration. I will obviously add a hood if needed, but it would be great if this suit would work for both cooler local and warmer caribbean diving.

My other option is to have LDS order an XCel Icon 3/2 suit, which I could then layer with a shorty for cooler dives.

Any thoughts?

-=* Mikki *=-

I have the XCel 4/3 Infiniti you mention--got a great deal on it from the LDS...love the wetsuit.

Everyone has different tolerances for water temperatures, and I'm typically colder than most other divers. I've used my 4/3 wetsuit in the Caribbean with water temperatures in the 80s (when some other divers where not even wearing wetsuits)--I was never overheated in the water with my 4/3.

I've also worn my 4/3 wetsuit (with a 5mm hood and gloves) in North Carolina with temperatures in the upper 60s (when most other divers were wearing 5mm to 7mm wetsuits)--I was fine for the first dive each time...got a little cold each time on the subsequent dives.

Like I said, everyone has different tolerances for water temperatures, but from what you said in your post above, I think you'll be happy with the XCel 4/3 Infiniti.

Thanks to everyone for the input (as always!). Still not sure which wetsuit I'm going to get... I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the Infiniti or O'Neill 3000x. LDS ordered a 2004 model Infiniti for me to try out, which is slightly different than the 2003 version I tried on. It has glideskin seals and ankle zippers. I feel like I'm buying a car or something :). Anyway, I'll let you all know what I end up getting...

-=* Mikki *=-

mikkilj:
Thanks to everyone for the input (as always!). Still not sure which wetsuit I'm going to get... I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the Infiniti or O'Neill 3000x. LDS ordered a 2004 model Infiniti for me to try out, which is slightly different than the 2003 version I tried on. It has glideskin seals and ankle zippers. I feel like I'm buying a car or something :). Anyway, I'll let you all know what I end up getting...

-=* Mikki *=-

Please don't buy a wetsuit until you try on a Henderson Hyperstretch. It was far and away easier to put on and more comfortable than anything else I've tried, and I didn't get too warm, even though I'm hot natured, with 3mm in 80+ degree water.

Paula,

Thanks for the recommendation, but from everything I've read, a 3mm hyperstretch is going to be cooler than a regular 3mm. I definitely want at minimum a 3mm fullsuit that feels like 3mm of good ole neoprene :). The velcro/fuzzy patch horror stories also make me nervous. The Xcel suit that I have tried on was actually not to difficult to get on... It's kind of a slippery feeling texture on the inside.

At this point, I'm leaning towards being warmer, considering that it is easier to cool off if necessary. I guess I'll just have to get laughed at for wearing a 4/3 in the Caribbean :).

Mik:

Get the 4/3. You're already comfortable with the idea. Not only that, with use, it is going to compress anyway. At that point in time you'll know what you need to layer with when the weather starts cooling off. You'll only be able to go so far and then it will almost be too cold for anything but a dry suit. That's when I try to spend the time down south.

Regards,

LOL... I'm still waiting for LDS to get the 2004 version of the 4/3 in stock for me to try on. Should hopefully come in next week. I just don't want to get laughed at for wearing a 4/3 in the Caribbean, but I guess no one is going to be pulling out a ruler and measuring the thickness anyway. But you're right, I am getting more comfortable with the idea. Warmth is good :) . Thanks for the reassurance, though!

-=* Mikki *=-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom