Newbie with hero 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bestshooter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have the hero2 and have done the update. Going to Cozumel later in the year . What is a good recommended setting to use there. Is the new protune setting good ? I'm gonna play around with it and some editing software to get used to it but want to see about where to start at so I don't have to experiment for too long .

Thanks

I am also new and have shot once with the gopro. I had the auto-wb issue which makes everything bright green. I plan on shooting in protune with camraw white balance in order to avoid this issue in the future. as far as editing, there's an awesome youtube video in this link that shows one way to do it. unfortunately it's with adobe aftereffects which is $$$, but you can get the idea. so far I like Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 which is much more reasonable (~$50) and is powerful enough. keep in mind protune has a much higher bit rate (higher than most blu-rays) so it takes up much more card space.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/pr...ction-colour-correction-gopro-hd-hero2-2.html

Not worried about card space .. I have a big card .. Just trying to narrow down settings so I don't have to experiment for a longggg time to find nothing ..

Thanks

search and read these forums over the last 4-6 months grass-hoppa, a wealth of information on your quest for the holy grail.

As far as I can see from footage of other people Cozumel has got some nice visibility so if you dive with a filter at normal working depth down to 60 feet there will be minimal need of color correction. Depending on your shooting style you can take a slate with you and shoot some footage against the slate so that you have a reference for white balance later though this may not be necessary
In terms of modes with the hero2 the protune 1080p mode is the mode with highest bitrate and less artifacts however it could require more work in post processing including sharpening, noise reduction, saturation and contrast. Almost all editors have sharpening, saturation and contrast very few have noise reduction so the best answer depends also on what you will use for editing and your shooting style (small clips or the whole dive) and how do you like your clips to look
If you like natural mode and don't want to see something more vibrant than it really was you will have good results with pro tune

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom