Newbie with SOny F828 on my way to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chugmeister

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I just purchased the ikelite housing for my Sony F828 and the ikelite 50 strobe with manual controller as TTL doesn't work.

I have been to several forums and am not finding much talk of people using this camera. So just looking for anyone that has used this camera and any tips they may have. I am excited about its potential as the zeiss lens does great with ambient light. I can take pictures at the hockey games with no flash when all of my other friends are getting low light problems. That combined with the 8 megapixel CCD it should leave me alot of room to crop in. The other nice thing is that the camera uses both Compact Flash and the MemoryStick so I have enough space to shoot 20 mins of video and 700 pictures at high res mode.

One specific question I have is around the laser grid auto focus feature. It works awesome on land and it allows the camera to focus in absolute 0 light. I take alot of pics a nightclubs and that feature is one of the main reasons I bought this modle. Just wondering if it works under water or if the refraction of the water throws it off.

Has anyone used the sports mode? It will do 7 pics in 2 secs but you can't use the flash with it.

Luckily my sister-in-law has a pool so I am going to try and get some practice in there before the trip as well.

Aside from specific tips to my camera I am headed to Coz in August and we are just starting to plan our dives. Will be there for a week. What are some of the best photo ops around Coz?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to use TTL with the Sony 828. I on the other hand use the Sony 717 and can use the TTL feature because Ikelite supplied the housing with a remote sensor. You would need to purchase the manual controller from Ikelite to stop down your exposures.

Without the manual controller, your going to have to play with shutter speed and apeture to get the right exposures.

The laser focus works underwater, but has a limited range, far shorter than on land and is effected by floating particles.

Palnancar Horseshoe, Columbia and Santa Rosa Wall are all nice dives that should give good photo ops.

Good luck

dscheck:
Unfortunately, you will not be able to use TTL with the Sony 828. I on the other hand use the Sony 717 and can use the TTL feature because Ikelite supplied the housing with a remote sensor. You would need to purchase the manual controller from Ikelite to stop down your exposures.

Without the manual controller, your going to have to play with shutter speed and apeture to get the right exposures.

The laser focus works underwater, but has a limited range, far shorter than on land and is effected by floating particles.

Palnancar Horseshoe, Columbia and Santa Rosa Wall are all nice dives that should give good photo ops.

Good luck

Thanks for the info. The strobe kit I purchased with the housing does have the 10 setting manual controller.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom