NewCousteau Film

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. This was posted by Trapezus in August 23, 2016 -- It is in French but the message is clear

14124314_1368221673207164_8901730777971308560_o-jpg.380024

2. trapezus, Aug 23, 2016 Report
  3. trapezus, Aug 23, 2016
  4. #141 Like + Quote Reply Quote in Conversation

5. trapezusManta Ray
    # of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499

trapezus, Aug 23, 2016 Report
    trapezus, Aug 23, 2016
Trapezus is a very valuable asset to this board

New or Old diver, fat or skinny diver, ugly or handsome
or big at the little and bottom at the top
I would strongly suggest all follow his post on vintage diver and Hollywood movies threads

SDM,111

Last edited:
It is I and the rest of the diving world who Thank You for all your very informative posts that provide a glimpse into the recent past of the short but exciting history of recreational diving.

I am a light sleeper, every day I wake up very early; around 5:00 AM fix a cup of hot chocolate and eagerly turn on my computer to the Vintage Section to read your posts , to view your historical photographs then set back and be entertained by the videos......So many memories of the genesis of diving; the people, the places and the events.

Then I am ready to start the day with a smile

My 14 year old dog Max and I go for a walk on the beach

Thank you Trapezus you always to paraphrase Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry
" You made my day ......."

Dr. Sam Miller, 111

Donn't believe in such things , ask Cousteau Society ,they explane everything with documents.
Unfortunately this is JYC hostility.

Not hostility... just criticism.

I grew up watching cousteau and he was, no doubt an inspiration to me to go into the sciences and to love the ocean.
But re-watching some of the old movies, it's shocking the things that were done.

Hopefully, this movie will not reignite the exchanges about the contributions of Captain Cousteau.

Several biographies have been written and there is no limit to the material written about his relationship with his family.

Like many readers here, I recall the excitement with which I and my friends viewed National Geographic specials and the Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau. It introduced us to a strange new world, especially to someone in the largely landlocked Midwest. Ocean science was in its infancy in those days as a subject covered by primary and secondary school texts, to the extent that it was covered at all.

Historians warn us about "presentism" the practice of judging the actions of people in the past by today's standards. I know many people praise the contribution of shows like Sea Hunt, but as I watch those shows 50 years later, I sometime cringe at the plots, especially how they treat marine life.

One of the best pieces I ever read on the legacy of Captain Cousteau in context of the contributions of others was in the book, America's Ocean Wilderness: A Cultural History of Twentieth-Century Exploration, by Gary Kroll, published in 2008. He looks at the contributions of many ocean explorers including Eugenia Clark (Lady with a Spear), Rachel Carson, Thor Heyerdahl, and so on. In fact, if I recall correctly, the author contrasted the significance of Heyerdahl in Kon Tiki with its and that of the Captain.

The Society probably hit its zenith in the early to mid 1980s. I will remind people that at that time, the environmental movement was still finding its foundation and was largely terrestrially focused. The only real national advocacy groups were the Cousteau Society and the Oceanic Society. These were mainline mass membership groups, much like the Sierra Club, and the only groups advancing ocean advocacy. Today, one can find a group that advocates for every and any aspect of the ocean. Anyone can organize a facebook page, get a non-profit 503 status, and advocate for anything to do with the oceans.

Hopefully, this movie will not reignite the exchanges about the contributions of Captain Cousteau.

Several biographies have been written and there is no limit to the material written about his relationship with his family.

Like many readers here, I recall the excitement with which I and my friends viewed National Geographic specials and the Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau. It introduced us to a strange new world, especially to someone in the largely landlocked Midwest. Ocean science was in its infancy in those days as a subject covered by primary and secondary school texts, to the extent that it was covered at all.

Historians warn us about "presentism" the practice of judging the actions of people in the past by today's standards. I know many people praise the contribution of shows like Sea Hunt, but as I watch those shows 50 years later, I sometime cringe at the plots, especially how they treat marine life.

One of the best pieces I ever read on the legacy of Captain Cousteau in context of the contributions of others was in the book, America's Ocean Wilderness: A Cultural History of Twentieth-Century Exploration, by Gary Kroll, published in 2008. He looks at the contributions of many ocean explorers including Eugenia Clark (Lady with a Spear), Rachel Carson, Thor Heyerdahl, and so on. In fact, if I recall correctly, the author contrasted the significance of Heyerdahl in Kon Tiki with its and that of the Captain.

The Society probably hit its zenith in the early to mid 1980s. I will remind people that at that time, the environmental movement was still finding its foundation and was largely terrestrially focused. The only real national advocacy groups were the Cousteau Society and the Oceanic Society. These were mainline mass membership groups, much like the Sierra Club, and the only groups advancing ocean advocacy. Today, one can find a group that advocates for every and any aspect of the ocean. Anyone can organize a facebook page, get a non-profit 503 status, and advocate for anything to do with the oceans.

Thank you covediver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom