Nex 6, lens advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CCDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I have purchased the NEX 6 with kit lens and have been researching the lens choices for diving. My plan is to get a Nauticam housing and use video lights and add a strobe, depending on my budget, I have video lights.
My photo experience, Nikonos V with full complement of lenses, strobe awhile back. I sold all my Nik gear purchased Amphibico Video and enjoy shooting video. I have a Canon G9 with canon housing.
I enjoy shooting stills and video equally.
My thoughts are to go with the kit lens and perhaps the 16 pancake with fisheye or wide angle converter. Anyone have experience with any of these setups?

Thank You in Advance,
CC

Thank you, I have searched but cannot find much information about the E Mount 16-50 OSS. I am leaning towards getting that port setup and maybe the 16 + WA adapter and dome port.

I use the Nex6 with 16mm and VCL-ECU1 and 36125 4,33" dome. Very good set. The 16mm alone also is usable with the dome, very rectilinear, but the nearer distance is limited at around 2 feet (60 cm) due to the limited minimum distance of the lens and the sharp curvature of the dome.
I tested in a swimming pool with square tiles the 16 mm with the 36131 3,5" dome and found very sharp and right edges on the corners, meaning also this dome (for Nauticam is only for Nikkor 1 10mm amd Panasonic 14mm) is well usable witn Sony 16mm , but without wideangle adapters (there is not space inside for them).

About 16-50mm: I tried it last week at full focus for semi-macro and fishes portraits using a flat port without zoom knob. Beign an electric zoom lens, I blocked the zoom slide switch with an elastic to force it to 50mm. It worked well, and today I bought the special 45 port 36128 with knob and gear. Note that the knob turns only the ring of the lens: that means if the camera is set in automatic focus, you control the zoom, but if the camera is set in manual focus, the ring (and the knob) control the focus. If the camera is set on DMF mode, the ring and knob control the zoom until the autofocus is done, but then you can control the focus also (read carefully the Nex 6 manual, please).

Generally speaking, Nauticam and Nex6 are a beautiful set: with dome port, 16mm or 16mm and VCL-ECU1 for action shots, and with 16-50 and flat port with knob for more syntethic and near field pictures. Try also the little viewfinder: with a compact mask is quite useful also.
Last tip: using 16-50 at 50 mm, use the autofocus on Center mode to focus precisely on the main subject: with 16 and dome, the Multiple focus mode is easier and quicker.
My 2 cents.

Giorgino

Hi Giorgino, Thank you for your input, I was thinking along those lines. My thoughts, which you confirmed is the 16-50 is probably better for medium and then get the 16 with WA adapter for wide angle. One question, will a 67mm thread Inon 165 fit directly on the Port 45 or should I get the adapter?

Another thought, will the 16-50 fit inside the 4.33 dome port? Would probably loose manual focus, correct?
Thank You,
Cheers
Clay

Last edited:
The 16-50mm fits inside the dome and works, but without any command, so the focus is fixed at 16 mm and no focusing control (only auto).

I have't any 67mm accessory, and cannot try the port thread. Measuring the diameter, it seems to be 67mm or so: perhaps you can fit something without any adapter, but I'm not sure.

Giorgino

For video the Sony 10-18 and Nauticam dome is hard to beat. But it is a little pricey.

Jack

CC - I've used the NEX cameras quite often, and my own recommendation would be getting the 16-50mm lens with a wet diopter for macro, and the 16mm pancake + fisheye conversion lens for great wide-angle. Good luck with your final decision! - Scott

Hi Scott, That is what I am leaning towards, but not sure between the wa or fisheye conversion. I really enjoy using the Nex 6.
Thank You,
CC

CC- they are not expensive, I would get both. Actually the prices on them are amazing. The fisheye will give more dramatic results underwater, and the WA will be great for landscape shots above water. - Scott

Back
Top Bottom