Next NASA Chief Nominee Doesn’t Believe in Climate Change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You say that as if I have done that here. Can you point this out specifically?
Actually not you but some of those in the discussion have...namely
Chrisch Altamira rjgiddings. They have used Prather strong insulting terms to,describe those who disagree wit them. I fact I asked if we could have a rationale discussion and the answer was explicitly no.
So,sorry to lump,you with them.

Actually not you
Then please direct your comments to whom they apply.

These discussions often devolve because of the impression of attacks, real or imagined. You complain about others attacking you, and yet you've erroneously ascribed this attitude to me... which can be construed as an attack. Rather than go on the offensive, just let it go. It's easy to vilify your opponent, it's not so easy just to stick to your logic and facts.

I agree and I repeat I am sorry to have lumped you with the others. I apologize.

I read the links:

"Four other storms have had winds as strong in the overall Atlantic region but they were in the Caribbean Sea or the Gulf of Mexico, which are usually home to warmer waters that fuel cyclones. Hurricane Allen hit 190 mph in 1980, while 2005's Wilma, 1988's Gilbert and a 1935 great Florida Key storm all had 185 mph winds."

And then there was the Great Hurricane of 1780, which killed more than 20,000 people.

So, it seems that Irma, to me, while a beast, is not some strange new type of beast.

I also came across this page, for people who like nice charts and colorful graphs:

Hurricane Irma Is NOT the Most Powerful Atlantic Hurricane Ever Recorded.

and a couple of other graphs....

2017.09.12 - Hurricanes.jpg

2017.09.12 - Hurricanes Global.JPG

( I feel so dirty)

Of course everyone knows that you can find charts, graphs, and tables to say, prove, or disprove just about anything in any direction, at any time, and anywhere.

Like I just did (but will certainly be thoroughly discredited in some way).

And of course being reasonable and well-educated people, no one has unrealistic expectations for deniers to accept any data put in front of them no matter how convincing, nor climaphobes to validate anything casting doubt.

Last edited:
I think you may have taken this more personally than was intended.
Or maybe, just maybe, I was making a point, n'est pas?

Sneaky shark.
I don't get affected by names or what others might or might not think of me. Just don't suggest that my trim sucks. :D :D :D

who would ultimately be the victims of what occurs with climate change or what would be endured in enacted measures in the attempt to do something about it. Scientific or not, you cannot ram things down peoples' throats if they don't want it, even if you think it's good for them.

Certainly true! In 2016 the City of Houston was advised by climate scientists, based on recent flooding data, that the city's infrastructure was at serious risk of continued catastrophic flooding. With Harvey, the city of Houston has just experienced the third 500 year level flooding in three years. The city managers dismissed this advice as a bunch of scientists "with an agenda."

Screen-Shot-2017-08-28-at-11.26.08-AM.png
National Climate Assessment

This charts the number of these extreme flooding events in a given decade, relative to the average number for the period of 1900 to 1960. The 1990s saw 30 percent more of these heavy rainmakers than the typical decade between 1900 and 1960 did. In the 2000s there were 40 percent more of these events.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom