Next Teric or Garmin MK3????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

from what I have seen, it doest justify the upgrade from mk2...

... so probably I will do it :wink:

Any thoughts on which features will trickle down to G1, Mk2, Mk2s, Mk2i, and Mk1 via update? One would think that Mk2i with T1 can handle some of the improved diver to diver communication features. All the Mk watches ought to have access to the dive site database, as they handle mapping in the surface context quite well. All of the watches including G1 ought to be able to provide a dive ready score since they have optical heart rate monitors and provide training scores for other activities. What do others think?

One would think that Mk2i with T1 can handle some of the improved diver to diver communication features.
Definitely not with the T1. T1 is transmit only. T2 is a transceiver, so the MK3i sends the messages to the T2 that then relays it to the other divers. An MK2i paired with a T2 might face the same problem. The DC receives from the T1, but doesn't send anything to the T1. So the hardware is probably not there.
All the Mk watches ought to have access to the dive site database, as they handle mapping in the surface context quite well. All of the watches including G1 ought to be able to provide a dive ready score since they have optical heart rate monitors and provide training scores for other activities. What do others think?
This is probably more plausible. Certainly seems possible. Whether it is enabled or not is the question.

Any thoughts on which features will trickle down to G1, Mk2, Mk2s, Mk2i, and Mk1 via update? One would think that Mk2i with T1 can handle some of the improved diver to diver communication features. All the Mk watches ought to have access to the dive site database, as they handle mapping in the surface context quite well. All of the watches including G1 ought to be able to provide a dive ready score since they have optical heart rate monitors and provide training scores for other activities. What do others think?

The Garmin info says a Mk2 can receive the messages sent from a Mk3/T2. The Mk2 just can't send messages. The Mk2 can read a T2 and the Mk3 can read a T1. In other words, the transmitters are interchangeable for reading tank pressure.

All those nice improvements and (it appears) you STILL can't tell if the tank pod is working until after you jump in the water....

That is assuming the T2 still works the same way the T1 does - which is that it uses RF communication when you're in air to tell the dive computer what the tank pressure is. It changes to using ultrasonic after you get in the water. So, if the ultrasonic part is broken (in the tank pod OR the computer) you won't know it until after you get in the water.

All those nice improvements and (it appears) you STILL can't tell if the tank pod is working until after you jump in the water....

That is assuming the T2 still works the same way the T1 does - which is that it uses RF communication when you're in air to tell the dive computer what the tank pressure is.
Yeah. That's my biggest gripe with this. Looking at the specs of the T2, it still lists ANT and a surface transmission frequency, so I think it's still the same.

I'm in no rush to run out and get it. When it comes time to replace my MK2s, I'll definitely look at the MK3i, but will definitely wait until the "New" tag is off the website. Really not sure how much I'd use the communication features, though I do see the use. My usual dive buddies are cheap, so I don't see them getting this.

I haven't been able to communicate underwater except for hand and light signals for 53 years, I don't need to start now. I'm an old guy, maybe this is for younger divers :)

Are you OK?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom