Next trip...Curacao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never knew Curacao was such a popular dive destination.

I was catching up on the posts in this thread and somebody asked about alternative lodging.

I stopped by these guys (Atlantis Diving Curacao - Homepage) the other day for some supplies and noticed they had some waterfront appartments besides the dive school. The info might come in handy for someone.

Don

Captndan,

Went there with family in jan 07, resort nice, food ok, shore dive right off the dock at hotel. Reef was great lots to see--squid, octopus, lobster ,crab, eel. Took an excursion to the tugboat recommend doing so.

Congrats on marriage

I never knew Curacao was such a popular dive destination.
I think it is taking off as a dive destination, and is ready to compete with Bonaire. Personally, I think Curacao is every bit as good as Bonaire (at least, where we dove), although we are going back to Bonaire in March just to re-check our judgment. (You can see how this cycle could continue for quite a while:).

Breezes is by all reports a decent resort, everybody who was staying there when i was in Curacao were happy with the place, but don't expect the Marriott; OE is the operator and does not have a good overall rep, mainly due to the way they run their dives (short dive times catering for large, cattle-esque holiday diving groups); i am not implying they conduct unsafe practices, just that they do not have any form of personalised service.

For diving, you are best served by getting in touch with Mark and Suzy who run 'The Dive Bus', i just spent some time with them and their crew and had a total blast; their knowledge of the island is second to none and their DM's (Tim and Ruel) were fantastic. They cater to smaller parties and have a flexible dive schedule, they are good people and will give a more than fair deal depending on the volume of diving you do.

If you insist, they will even drink beer with you after your day's diving (i hated that bit); forget hiring a car, the DB crew will pick you up and take you to all sites, nothing is more than 30 mins away from where you are staying (their op is 5 mins from Breezes and Lions).

The shore diving is fantastic in Curacao, the viz was considered bad when i was there (Jan '08), because it was 'only' 10-15 m on average; the reefs are magnificient and every dive should have some form of surprise ( i strongly recommend night dives off the Pierbaii reef).

You will not regret diving in Curacao.

honeymoon at the breezes this September.

My wife and I have been to Breezes 4 times (August last 4 years in a row) and are going again this August. It just works well for us. Not 5 star, (maybe a solid 3 star by American standards), but has something for everybody. Have noticed improvements during last four years. We have always got Oceanfront rooms and have noticed that most of the complaints that we heard were from people in the royal towers or oceanview rooms. Best to pay the extra for ocean front room. Diving is good from the Breezes dock and can access The Carpile site from there, but we like the other side of that same reef called Pierbaii. Easy access right at The Dive Bus hut( walking distance from Breezes) and they are always happy to give pointers on the reef if you stop by and ask. Check out their website and look at naga's reply to this thread. Check Tripadvisor for Breezes Curacao, but be forewarned, for every good review is a bad one. By experiance, we've found that not everyone can be pleased. If you go remembering that things there run on Island time and with alittle patience, you'll have a great time. We always do. Feel free to PM if we can help.:14:

Tom & Isabelle

Just back from Curacao. Stayed at Breezes and renewed our wedding vows. I used The Dive Bus and they are A#1 Awesome. Suzy, Mark, Tim & Crew are absolutely the best! I cannot say enough good things about their dive op and my experience! Breezes was ok-good. Remember everything is island time, no hurries. We found the room in the tower good. Food was good, found someting each day. The wedding renewal was great, as was the diving and weather. PM if you have questions

thanks for all the help. we mainly wanted to stay at a place where there is lots to do. my fiance will be getting certified in the next month or so, so shore diving sounded good with her experience level. this is one of the few places that included any diving at all and it seems to have easy access to the dive bus which has great reviews. also, we wanted to keep busy during the day with sailing, kayaking, etc., so i thought it would be a better choice than the marriott. we both like the idea of relaxing with a rum drink but in all honesty we would get bored with that all week long because we are pretty active and like to have stuff to do. sounds like that is what breezes is good for.

Hi Capt. Sunset Waters does provide easy entry for beginners. Their house reef was beautiful. The boat dives were all beautiful as well. Was there a week and really only the last day was a little choppy out on the water. The resort itself does offer some other amnenities. I did take advantage of there being kayaks at the resort, and they do offer some other activities, such as beach volleyball, soccer and live music. The rooms, where as stated in other posts, not a 5 star quality. They have seen better days. But for my needs, as I spent quite a bit of time in the water, it was sufficient. This is an all inclusive resort for food and alcoholic beverages. The food was good. Usually very plentiful. Drinks were great. Try a "perfect love". Our group enjoyed those immensely. Trips into town were offered every day. It is a 45 minute drive to get there, though. So if you want other night life, a resort closer to town might be better. Have a blast where ever you stay!

Heading to Curacao 2nd to 9th of March, 2008, and staying at the Breezes. I hope this thread stays active so I can keep checking for reports/opinions/advice. Keep them coming!!! I am also travelling with my wife and another couple (non-divers) so I will need an enthusiastic dive buddy (or 2 or 3 or ect....) to get wet with.

Back
Top Bottom