Ni hao and Guten Tag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tripophobia

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a German living in China and started diving more than 5 years ago. As I have been reading a lot in this forum already over the past years and gained a lot of valuable insights, I thought is about time to share my experiences of what started during my honeymoon with the intent of doing a day of diving here and there at the end of during our regular backpacking trips and has evolved into more >200 dives and 8 liveaboard trips :-D

Thus, to give something back to the community I plan to write trip reports of the past 5 years of diving. Diving also brought me into videography and will upload my videos and include them in the trip reports (if the Chinese Firewall allows :))

Cheers

Hi there

I am a German living abroad also and it is even likely that I will move to Shanghai in a couple of years for a bit. How's the diving over there? How close is the nearest quality diving?

Looking forward to your content

Cheers

Well, while you have 5 direct connections to Frankfurt and 3 to Munich at most times of the year, direct flights to holiday destinations are still comparable limited taking the size of the city into account.

There are direct connections to Okinawa (by far the closest for diving but I haven't been there), Manila, Cebu, Phuket, and sometimes Krabi & Koh Samui.

You have decent connections (w/ stopover) to the hotspots in Asia: Raja Ampat, Palau, Komodo and Sipadan

In general, I would say easier access than from Europe, but not as easy as from Singapore

There is actually some diving in a lake close to Shanghai, but it is more a once in a lifetime thing:

Cheers

In general, I would say easier access than from Europe, but not as easy as from Singapore

Oh boy...talking about flights is what I feared as a response. I am now used to walking down a set of stairs a couple minutes from home to go diving...can I ever change that... I don't know.

Singapore is the other option to consider actually.

Well, while you have 5 direct connections to Frankfurt and 3 to Munich at most times of the year, direct flights to holiday destinations are still comparable limited taking the size of the city into account.

There are direct connections to Okinawa (by far the closest for diving but I haven't been there), Manila, Cebu, Phuket, and sometimes Krabi & Koh Samui.

You have decent connections (w/ stopover) to the hotspots in Asia: Raja Ampat, Palau, Komodo and Sipadan

There is actually some diving in a lake close to Shanghai, but it is more a once in a lifetime thing:

Cheers
Yeah, plan for a layover in Singapore and you could get to many famous south east asian dive spots.

have you personally tried the Lion City dive? saw some videos, but doesnt look tempting enough to make the trip.

have you personally tried the Lion City dive? saw some videos, but doesnt look tempting enough to make the trip.

Well, technically yes - they are not allowed to dive the Lion City itself anymore but there are many flooded houses etc. close by that we dived. As said, it was a once in a lifetime experience. Apparently, in spring the visibility is supposed to be better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom