Nice dive Pompano June 28th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PompanoDiver

Reaction score
Just got back from a great dive on the Ancient Mariner and met a happy green moray. The thing must be an eel supermodel, because it played ham for my camera as long as I wanted.

Take a look: http://www.knight2remember.com/scuba/Moray Eel 062803s.JPG

The water was over 80 degrees, no current and the visiblity was pretty good.

Folks, with conditions like this, there is just no excuse for being dry.

is still one of those great wrecks that is enjoyed by newbies and veterans alike. A buddy of mine told me he spotted a Whale Shark passing by there about two months ago.
On any given dive, anything can happen. Thanx for the report and the pic.

I know that moray. They used to feed him, but that was banned. Someone told me a story of him swimming around inside someone's bc looking for food lol. Imagine how that diver felt lol. I believe this pic is of the same eel, the rocky area was on the opposite side of barge from the trail to the united carribean.

I had a buddy get a sharptailed eel in his T-shirt off of Delray Beach. We all thought that was pretty funny, even him, later. But that was a small eel in 12 feet of water.

I think if that big honking moray decided to get cozy with me, I would have had a rough time maintaining my calm.

It sure is a nice dive. Here's another friendly denizen:
http://www.knight2remember.com/scuba/Parrot Fish 062803s.JPG

I was visiting the Boca Raton area in Nov 2002 and took AOW and Nitrox in Pompano. One of our dives was scheduled to visit the Ancient Mariner, but the dredging at the Hillsboro inlet left a flume of Calif-style visibility. We opted to head south and we dove the Capt Dan and Third Reef.

For our next visit, I want to dive the Mariner. How does it compare to Capt Dan? Our FLA buddy has a book of wrecks, but he hasn't dove in years, so it is just a book. What do you active FLA divers recommend? Is the Mariner worth the dive? Any other wrecks in the Boca Raton area worth visiting?

Wristshot

I dove there last thanksgiving. We dove the mariner, and the united caribbean. The berry patch, where I saw a 6' stingray :).
Then the copenhagen, which is more of a debris field than a wreck, but the anchor was kewl. The berry patch had the most small life and the stingray, the mariner had the moray, and the reef off of the copenhagen, we saw a small octopus and a very large porcupine puffer. All of the dives were fantastic, can't wait to get back this thanksgiving. And they were dredging the Hillsboro inlet when we were there, we sailed right past the dredge, and the viz was awesome. You could see the mariner @ 75' from the surface.

It's a nice dive and I would recommend it.

This part of Florida has a very large number of wrecks put down for the purpose of diving. The Ancient Mariner is one of the better ones. As with all "artificial" wrecks, the hatch doors and cables have been removed to make it much safer. It is nearly intact with very little structural damage beyond the holes to sink her and the years of rust, which is a vast improvement over the "wreckage" dives like the Copenhagen. It also has been down long enough to developed a large amount of growth making it better than some of the newer wrecks. (Check out the growth http://www.knight2remember.com/scuba/Ancient_Mariner_062803.JPG ) It is in relatively shallow water for the size of the ship which makes for nice bottom times (I got 50 minutes on a Nitrox 80). It also has lots of openings that offer pretty safe swim-through penetrations with plenty of light.

The only negatives would be that it is a fairly small ship with small interior holds. This tends to make it more crowded when you are sharing it with a large group.

I also noticed that it could silt up pretty fast. There was almost no current Saturday, and while I would rarely complain about that, it did mean that any silt stirred up tended to hang around for a while. The ship leans enough that the deck is only 6 feet or so from the bottom on one side, putting the deck close to the sand. The holds have a generous helping of sand as well. So a group of new divers can cut down on the water quality enough to be annoying.

If you get a chance, check out the Rodeo 25 which is bigger but deeper, usually accompanied by a large school of barracuda. Or do a night dive on the Bud bar which (if I am remembering right), has a ton of little shrimp that come out at night in numbers that makes their red eyes light up the place like a Christmas tree.

Good luck and send pictures :)

PompanoDiver once bubbled...
I had a buddy get a sharptailed eel in his T-shirt off of Delray Beach. We all thought that was pretty funny, even him, later. But that was a small eel in 12 feet of water.

I think if that big honking moray decided to get cozy with me, I would have had a rough time maintaining my calm.

It sure is a nice dive. Here's another friendly denizen:
http://www.knight2remember.com/scuba/Parrot Fish 062803s.JPG

There is (was?) a very friendly moray on the reefs near Key Largo. The boat guys had told us about him. I think they said his name was Ricky. One of the boys pointed his lair out to me so I swam down and hovered in front.

Sure enuf he came swimming out and right up to me, bunted me in the chest with his snout, then wiggled under my right arm and tried to get his nose into the pocket of the bcd I wore in those days. I tucked my fingers well in and kept my hands as far from his pointy little teeth as possible. He gave up on the right pocket and swam under my arm and around my back and nosed into my left pocket. No food there so he went and played on the sand for us. My numbskull buddy was so certain I was being attacked by this "monster" that he didn't think to take pics with the MX10 I'd rented for the day and he happened to be carrying at the time.

I was sorry I didn't have pics but it was interesting seeing the Moray up close and personal like that.

JohnF

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom