Nice knife for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the NRS pilot knife with the squeeze lock sheath. Blunt tipped, sharp, and attached to my shoulder harness with a paracord lanyard. My 2 cents...

slik

I have been diving this for a number of years now
Amazon.com: Aquatec T-Rex Titanium Dive Knife: Sports & Outdoors
knife13-1.jpg
But lately I have found myself using a pair of emt sheers instead. They travel better because places like cruise ships tend to find knives a bit taboo.
sea snips cutting tool with holster

Even better than the Rescue Hook, the EEZYCUT. They are just amazingly sharp, and will mount either on your waist belt or wrist.

(I've had a couple of Benchmade sheaths just fall apart too.)

Last edited:
Like dive watches, a man can never have too many dive knives...from my collection assembled from odds and ends over the years that I would recommend.
Kabar kinfe with USN composite sheath from the 1960s.
Any Balckie Collins dive knife made by Wenoka (I have four, one titanium)
Benchmade 100 SH2O fixed blade, yellow handle (sheath clips to my weight harness)
Benchmade 111H2O folding knife, yellow (my latest aquisition, three days ago).

Three things I require in a dive knife, functionality, quality, style. All my knives have a line cutter of can be used as such, which is primarily why I have had to use a knife. I prefer blunt tip, but not all knives in the collection have one. Ability to cut cleanly through a nylon line is another useful quality. I have had my kabar since the early 70s (military surplus, 6 dollars in 1972), I started with the blackie collins wenoka knives in the 1980s and have never been disappointed (they come up on craigslist every so often or ebay and can sometimes be inexpensively acquired). I started with benchmade in 2002 when I got the fixed blade (no longer made) and like the folder I got the other day.

Finally, I like the style. I like a sizeble (although not excessively large; I am not into dive swords) knife strapped to the inside of my leg when diving in a wetsuit or a knife on my harness when diving in a drysuit. My folder will do well as a pocket knife and as a BC knife. Any knife I have will do double duty in the Alaska bush or underwater, along with my swiss army knife. My kabar was acquired initially as the knife I used when hiking the national forest as a youngster.

These knives are suitable for me. They suit my persona, but may not do so for someone else.

As a kid, I read a Robert Heinlein science fiction story about a group of teens that could take a single weapon through a portal to a planet for a survival experience. (Sounds like many of today's reality shows, yet the story was probably written in the 1950s). The protagonist chose a knife. Turned out to be a good choice.

I've got a Spyderco Jumpmaster as my main knife...it's actually designed for parachute riggers, but it is made of H1 steel that won't rust in salt water, and has a very aggressive serrated edge. I also have a EEzyCut Trilobite on the chest strap of my BCD. I own a set of paramedic shears, but haven't found a satisfactory way of mounting them on my BCD yet.

I have bought my first knife but where do I put it?
It is made by Beaver, blunt ended, serrated edged in a plastic sheath.
I have decided to tuck it in my BCD pocket attached to a retracting line.
The trouble is I have other things in my pockets [SMB, reel, torch, slate]let's hope I don't put on weight.
Any advice?

scubapro-mako-titanium-knife-130-p.jpgthis is what I used. I will normally carry it in the lower compartment of my technical pouch that I wear dead center my waist belt (straddling the loop portion of my crotch strap). One of the best selling features of this knife is the bottle opener at the far end of the handle. Too bad I do not drink beer. Still looking for one that comes with a cork screw...

I have bought my first knife but where do I put it?

I keep my main knife strapped to the _inside_ of my left calf [I'm right handed]. I can easily grab it with either hand. Trilobite is on my BCD chest strap...also easily grabbed with either hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom