Night dive photo taking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tom_kkh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys,

I am totally new in u/w photo taking.

Just bought a canon ixus870IS. am wondering under night dive condition, will the pictures turn out ok with just the in build flash?

anyone have any experience in this model? Should I leave the mode in u/w mode or do my own setting in the program mode?

thanks for the info. cheers:popcorn:

I do not think you are likely to get National Geographic (sorry I just picked a magazine) quality photo but I am sure you will get shots that you enjoy looking at. I know I did. One trick is you will need a light to light up your subject (focus light) so your camera has something to autofocus on. If you can get a light which is wide enough, you can likely turn off the built in flash and just use that flashlight. This will prevent backscatter from appearing in the picture. This is just a suggestion. You will have to try the camera out and see what you end up with, and what you like and do not like.

One thing to watch for if you do this, I would expect that many of your shots would be slightly underexposed (depending on the light) and the colours may appear slightly off (again depending on the light). This will be because the flashlight is not likely to match the intensity of most underwater strobes and it is likely going to be a different colour of light as well. Again, try things and see what you like. No matter what, you will have pictures for memories.

I do not think you are likely to get National Geographic (sorry I just picked a magazine) quality photo but I am sure you will get shots that you enjoy looking at. I know I did. One trick is you will need a light to light up your subject (focus light) so your camera has something to autofocus on. If you can get a light which is wide enough, you can likely turn off the built in flash and just use that flashlight. This will prevent backscatter from appearing in the picture. This is just a suggestion. You will have to try the camera out and see what you end up with, and what you like and do not like.

One thing to watch for if you do this, I would expect that many of your shots would be slightly underexposed (depending on the light) and the colours may appear slightly off (again depending on the light). This will be because the flashlight is not likely to match the intensity of most underwater strobes and it is likely going to be a different colour of light as well. Again, try things and see what you like. No matter what, you will have pictures for memories.

Thanks for advice, will try it out definitely:crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom