Night Dive: Strap backup light to main torch???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrtremere

Registered
Reaction score
I was diving in La Jolla and saw some guy with his SL6 Light ducktaped to his Sunlight C8 Light. The Sunlight C8 Light was techered to his chest D-Ring. Is this a dumb idea or a smart idea? I have both and can see the benifit of this.

If the Sunlight explodes it could take the SL6 with it. :wink:

Sounds like a good idea to me. Since the primary is tethered you can't drop it, and if it fails you're already holding your backup light. So many clever ideas out there.

theskull

I hang my backup from a d ring on my BCD
if you drop your primary (prolly wont happen if it's tethered but let's just pretend) you lose your bakup as well.

It sounds like a good idea as long as you still have yet another small backup on your person.
Dive lights can get dropped or explode if they leak. And I'll never forget one memorable night dive where I and my buddy had just swum up to the 2 rear ladders and handed over our main lights to the crew before climbing up when the captain suddenly realised he was about to drift onto a half-submerged rock. He just had time to shout a warning for us to jump clear before he gunned the engine. We were left in pitch darkness while he circled around. Fortunately I have 2 backup lights, handed one to my buddy and we were able to swim clear and signal the boat.

Dive lights explode if they leak? What do you mean? How much do they explode? Should I throw myself on my dive light to save my buddy if it leaks? :wink:

I'm sorry, but I would never tether my backup light to my main light. Too many things can happen as has been already stated. I always put my backup light in my BCD side pocket. Just my 2 cents worth!

if you have LED lights (at least in your backup) you could consider just leaving the backup already turned on since it wont run dead more than likely. then, if one fails (either one for that matter) you will know if you have a failure. Sorta like a twin engine airplane. use them both, and when one quits it becomes quite obviouse the other has failed. that way when #1 quits it isn't the time to notice, oh wait, #2 is aready flooded...

I personally keep my main light tethered on my bc's waist strap dring and my back up on my right shoulder strap dring.

Let's say you untether your main light for some reason, and get spooked and drop it. That backup light you had isn't doing you any good now. On the other hand, if you don't untether your primary light ever, it's probably a good idea.

I don't see the point. Since there are many places to attach a backup light why attach it to the same place as your primary? The whole point in redundancy.

Tethering each light at a different location makes more sense.

There are two pros by tethering the main light. The most rec primary light is a piston or lantern grip. It can be PITA to hold a darn heavy one (usually C or D batteries used) all the time even in underwater. So, you can save some fatigue on your arm.

In addition, whenever you need your hands free for something, you can simply drop the light.

Back
Top Bottom