Night dives without a console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepdiverbc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently switched from a console to a wrist mount set up. I have only completed two dives so far with the computer on my right wrist, the compass on my left and my SPG cliped to a d-ring within my field of veiw. I like this new configuration especially having my computer on my wrist but I am wondering what is the best cofiguration for night diving.

I assumed that I would illuminate my compass and SPG with my light placed in my right hand and use my left hand to press the back light button on my computer but I am wondering if there is a better configuration for night dives that may not require me to use the computers back light all of the time.

Any comments?

a miniq-40 on the mask, computer on right wrist, compass in left hand and torch on a goodmans handle in right hand

Jonathan

i guess illuminate your SPG and compass...
strap your compass and computer on just one wrist...
perhaps with your computer right side on the inside whil the compass right side on the outside...
while holding your light with the left hand...
i'm using a suunto favor which doesn't have a back light...

and jonathan, how do you become a "regulator"?:D

I also use computer on the right arm and watch/compass on the left. If your compass has a glow in the dark bezel, you can "charge" it by putting your primary right up against it for a minute. Doing it this way allows you to swim with your beam pointing forward while you glance down at your glowing compass as needed. When the glow fades I'll stop for a sec and "recharge" it.

deepdiverbc once bubbled...
......but I am wondering if there is a better configuration for night dives.....
There are a lot of advantages to keeping your gear arrangement as standard as possible ---- you get used to doing things one way during daytime dives it will be easier for you if the gauges are in the same spot at night.

If you put your SPG one place, your depth gauge/computer another, and your compass in a 3rd spot, then you should keep them there. On the other hand, with a console I only have to look in one spot.

BTW, your SPG should also be phosphorescent. Use your light to "charge" it, not to illuminate it while looking at it.

Jonathan once bubbled...
a miniq-40 on the mask, computer on right wrist, compass in left hand and torch on a goodmans handle in right hand

Jonathan

I like the idea of strapping the miniq-40 to the mask strap. Thanx. Great idea.

The only drawback would be that you would have to be carefull not to get face to face with another diver and ruin his night vision.

no matter what you do. So the way you are configured (spg on L chest?) you could mount the little light on left strap around shoulder, pointing down to whatever degree you like, put your wrists together next to the spg and have the equivilent of one of those boomerang shaped consoles without blinding anyone.

with the little light on all the time, not blinding anyone and giving you more peripheral light, you can look at any gauge you want without losing a hand. Don't you sort of need your left hand available for bouyancy control (I know, mostly on ascent)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom