Night diving- full moon or no moon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

supergaijin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Apparently the moon is closest tonight than any other night of the year- a perigee moon. Got me thinking about night dives- which do you prefer?

Me I like little or no moon- too much plankton in the shallows on full moon nights.

I think it's cool when I get out of water under a full moon. It's an interesting feeling walking back from a shore dive with the light shining on everything.

We enjoy night dives generally, but there is something unique about a full moon night dive. Not only is it a neat experience to look at the overhead moon from beneath the surface, but it is a real convenience to have the "extra light for set up and breaking down gear if you are doing a shore dive in a fairly remote location. Not as much when doing a night dive from a boat, especially a liveaboard. No that you raise the question, I guess I will time dive trips during which we anticipate night diving to coincide with a full moon if I can !
DivemasterDennis

I'm with DDennis, above.

We plan our trips around full Moons.

The moon attracts plankton that you mention- that's what everything feeds off of, and isn't that what you came to see? The food chain in action?

8b13-1.jpg

U/W navigation can be aided by the position and visibility of the moon- I have kept myself oriented many times on night dives by noting it's position, much as you would use the Sun.

Many times, we have been diving in your Maldives on a full Moon, and on a calm night, we turn off the lights and just observe in the shallows. It is amazing what you can really see when you aren't focusing only on a 6' illuminated circle. When your eyes adjust, it all becomes quite visible. An Octopus hunting naturally atop a Coral head.

One of the most single spectacular dives of my life, drifting along in a 2mph current, at 45fw and a gently sloping reef in the Philippines- Full Moon and lights out- watching the zillions of Chrinoids looking like sparkling Christmas Trees- the plankton exploding as it hit their outstretched arms.

Love full moon night dives. I've have some in Coz that were magical. We dove w/o using our dive lights. Awesome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom