Night diving in the Bahamas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you do get to Northern Eleuthera see if you can get to Current Cut. Just East of Current island. It's a fantastic Current dive (as one would have, i'm sure, guessed! :) ) It's about 45 foot deep max in a thin cut between two land masses. The current RIPS through there at the midtide. Wear a full suit in defense of knocks and scrapes. You'd need a safety sausage and prolly best to bring a whistle and signal mirror.
The way we did it was for the boat to drop us off just upsteam of the cut as the narrows cause the flow to pick up. Then drift (still manned!) through above us and collect us once the cut widens and the flow drops off again. (hence the sausage etc)
There are lots of cuts and hollows mid channel that one can "pull into" to get a brief break from the flow. In these you might expect to see shoals of rock fish and Nurse shark "sheltering".
To get out again dont try to swim in the direction of the current though. The Turbulent "back flow" will just pull you back into the hollow. Face up stream and launch yourself vertically up into the force of the flow and ride it out. Hold onto your mask :-O !!
Not a beginners dive and not for the faint of heart even then! But BLOODY good fun!
The more sedate and careful divers made it through three times on an Ally 80 tank 3300Psi. I only got two and a half "goes" coz i was laughing my ass off most of the time!
You cant really swim against the current due to it's force, you can use yourself as a sail to get about 45 degree motion accross it though. For the first "pass" you might consider hanging closer to the edge of the channel where the flow is less.
Really Really good fun!

Another good one in the area was the Arimoroa. The ELEUTHERA Shipwreck Directory  Bahamas Shipwrecks
A bit more broken up than discribed here but still a plethora of fish!!!

Last edited:
Thanks Dan - current cut sounds really fun!!! I am a new diver with only about 20 - so I probably am not be ready for that. That being said I will ask about it and see... :) I would love to see some wrecks and the description seem very doable. I can't wait to see the coral reefs. I leave in 1 week..... and won't miss the snow and cold at all..

I'll post when I get home and let people know what how things went.

Wow! The current cut dive sounds like loads of fun...especially for a local witnessing all the tourists trying it out for the first time. If people keep posting about all these great dives in the local area... I may have to schedule another trip and stay longer then 20 hours next time. :)

The Current Cut dive is fairly inaccessible in that it's miles from anywhere, so unless they build an airstrip on Current Island it's just never gonna get more regular interest than the live aboards and local dive shops out of North Eleuthera. We only had two on the boat that'd done it before and i was careful to stick tight to one of them!!!! Not easy given the circumstances! I'd go again in an instant!
I was out with a few friends on another mates boat from Nassau for the day. We got REALLY lucky with the seas and winds. About 140 mile round trip we picked the route out on Google Earth picking way points and even found the Arimoroa as a dark patch in the location described in the previous link.
We did the Blue hole at Rose Island (aka Lost Blue Hole) first (also visible from Google). With such a long interval travelling to the shallow second dive we went deep and actually got to the sand mound at around 160'. The hole, shaped like a Hershey's Kiss, opens up like a CATHEDRAL from there down to about 220' right in the "corners". Not that we went in the corners.......honest injun.
Very definitely fond/narc'd memories!
You should DEFINITELY come for longer next time! :)

Bahama Divers is another option and a couple of minutes from the Nassau port (much closer than Stuarts Cove) in Yacht Haven.

I went with BD on a two-tank dive Sat, Nov 29, and the dives were fantastic. The first dive was The Lost Blue Hole - 91', 40 min; second dive was a shallow reef - 25', 50 min.

Considering the staff, boat, 8 divers onboard, I would definately dive with Bahama Divers again.

Questions? PM me.

Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom