Night Diving Protip: Don'tuse highest lighting settings for close up subjects

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krukster86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am reviewing videos a night dive I did in Cozumel last night with the Hero 3 Black and a SOLA Video 2000 light. I set my light to the mid and high range light settings when I came across something cool for a closeup since I know the GoPro sensor needs all the light it can get. Unfortunately, this was too much and some of my "money shots" that I saw during my dive showed up as the subject completely whited out in the video.

Lesson learned: turn the lumens down to a lower setting when the gopro is inches away from your subject.

Yes its easier to lit a dark video/picture in post than darken a too bright one.

sent from mobile unit

I use my Sola 1200s and 2000s on lowest power since most of my videotaping is of objects closer than 4-5 ft. Even on more distant shots I often have the lights set at 500 lumens since that is the setting I normally use for most of my shooting and may not be able to increase the setting if something happens suddenly that I want to film.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom