Night photography focus light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeter

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I have a Canon 300D with ikelite housing and strobes. The camara needs a light to focus with at night. Does anyone have any recomendations for a good light to use? Would a video light work well here? My current lights have too narrow of a beam and the produce a bright spot in the picture.

Thanks for your help,
Jay

What strobes do you have? I know the Ikelite DS-125 (and now DS-160....I ordered two weeks too early!!!!) have a focus light that I use as my primary light for night diving. Otherwise I think there was an article on reef photo's website a while back comparing a variety of focus lights. Let me know if you have trouble finding it and I'll look for it.

What strobes do you have? I know the Ikelite DS-125 (and now DS-160....I ordered two weeks too early!!!!) have a focus light that I use as my primary light for night diving. Otherwise I think there was an article on reef photo's website a while back comparing a variety of focus lights. Let me know if you have trouble finding it and I'll look for it.

I have two older DS50s. I will look for the article. Thanks

Jay

Even though my lights, Ike DS-125's have modeling lights, I just ordered a Fisheye FIX Light HG20DX for my Ike housing from Reef Photo. I shoot all wide angle and the modeling lights, when aimed properly for shooting, don't put the light where it needs to be for my AF sensor. I tried the Fisheye Mini but found I wasn't using it much because it's not bright enough for me. I'll try the new one this weekend. After reading several threads and talking to a few people this is the one I decided on.

Even though my lights, Ike DS-125's have modeling lights, I just ordered a Fisheye FIX Light HG20DX for my Ike housing from Reef Photo. I shoot all wide angle and the modeling lights, when aimed properly for shooting, don't put the light where it needs to be for my AF sensor. I tried the Fisheye Mini but found I wasn't using it much because it's not bright enough for me. I'll try the new one this weekend. After reading several threads and talking to a few people this is the one I decided on.

Thanks for the advice. I found the reef photo review and the HG20DX does out perfom all the rest by a wide margin (pun intended). Here is the link to the review Reef Photo & Video Support Center - KnowledgeBase - Focus Lights - the Good, the Bad and the Ugly Focus Lights - the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Jay

If you already have two strobes, then you can use a triple clamp to mount an SLX Focus Light to it.

If you only have one strobe, you can get the SLX Ikelite package.

I have the Nocturnal Light SLX LED and just ordered another for my wife. The light is awesome, I also purchased the diffuser. My wife will just be using it as her primary dive light. It works great with rechargalbe NIMH batteries so it is economical as well. I highly reccmnd this light.
Depending on what arms your strobes are mounted to there are options for afixing the light. BTW, I have a Canon 30D in Ikelite housing w/2 DS125s (ULCS arms).
If you have any questions PM me.

NH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom