Night Snorkel (Kona Big Island area)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eho

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
One of the things my wife and I like to do (besides dive a lot during the day) is to go night snorkeling. We especially like to do this the last night of the trip when we can't scuba dive.

We are wondering what sites people would recommend for night snorkeling within reasonable driving distance of Kona. Our criterion are 1) lots of interesting critters! 2) easy entry/exit; 3) normally very calm at dusk. Bonus points for available firewood to make a fire so we can find our way back.

Mahalo

No fires on the lava! I don't know why but it's a law. Try Old Airport. Two step is always awsome but the locals kinda take over after dark. Puako would also be good.

Wildcard:
No fires on the lava! I don't know why but it's a law.

Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder, I think I did hear that before. Thanks for the tips.

eho:
One of the things my wife and I like to do (besides dive a lot during the day) is to go night snorkeling. We especially like to do this the last night of the trip when we can't scuba dive.

We are wondering what sites people would recommend for night snorkeling within reasonable driving distance of Kona. Our criterion are 1) lots of interesting critters! 2) easy entry/exit; 3) normally very calm at dusk. Bonus points for available firewood to make a fire so we can find our way back.

Mahalo

I would think Kahalu'u would be easy and fun at night. I've always wanted to do it and have had some diver buddies snorkel it at night and liked it. You would be hard pressed to find anything calmer, with an easier entry or more protected from open ocean. After that, I'd pass. I love nights dives, but splashing around on the surface during feeding hours ain't my cup of tea unless I'm at the manta site with a group of people.

friscuba:
I would think Kahalu'u would be easy and fun at night. I've always wanted to it and have had some diver buddies snorkel it at night and liked it. You would be hard pressed to find anything calmer, with an easier entry or more protected from open ocean. After that, I'd pass. I love nights dives, but splashing around on the surface during feeding hours ain't my cup of tea unless I'm at the manta site with a group of people.
What he said.

Don't mean to hijack... But only the second time I've heard people going night snorkelling besides myself... most people think I am crazy when I tell them I'm going into the water at night with all but a torch. ... then again I never asked.

I hope you find some good spots out there... what if the fire goes out? Try fullmoon, that's a realy blast :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom