Nikon D300 with two TTL strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello,

I just plan to buy new subal housing for Nikon D300 and have one problem. How could I connect two strobes in ttl mode? I don't have any strobes yet. I thought about buying 2 Inon 240 or two Subal SN housing for SB800. But looks that in both variants only one lam p will work in TTL mode. Could somebody suggest working solution?
I know that Subtronic has strobes that can work (both) in ttl - but I need strobes a bit smaller than Subtronic Nova or Maxi.

Mark

Isn't this a question for Subal? Maybe you can't do it and maybe you can but they would be the experts on that kind of question.

Buy 2 Ike DS125's and a Y cable
Done

Hello,

I just plan to buy new subal housing for Nikon D300 and have one problem. How could I connect two strobes in ttl mode? I don't have any strobes yet. I thought about buying 2 Inon 240 or two Subal SN housing for SB800. But looks that in both variants only one lam p will work in TTL mode. Could somebody suggest working solution?
I know that Subtronic has strobes that can work (both) in ttl - but I need strobes a bit smaller than Subtronic Nova or Maxi.

Mark

Mark,

Yes, you can connect 2 strobes to 1 TTL converter.

Your options are:

1) HeinrichsWeikamp's TTL Converters. He has both internal and external models. On the external converter, you would just need one as you can use a 2 to 1 sync cord to your Inon 240's.

2) S&S Nikon TTL Converter (depending on what type of bulkhead you get with the Subal, you might need to change the Nikonos 6pin end to a S6)

3) Instead of the Inon's, if you went with Ikelite strobes, you can use their external Nikon TTL Converter. But I think they say you shouldn't run two strobes on a single Ike converter.

Don't be cheap with your strobes! Underwater imagery is all about light. That being said, digital TTL seemingly has been most used for macro shooting, and if you shoot mainly macro, you won't need powerful strobes because digital sensors are actually quite sensistive. However, for wide angle you most certainly do need powerful strobes. The new Sea & Sea 250 strobes are excellent by the way, I just replaced my old 350's with 250's recently. They do not work with the old TTL converter. Apparently S&S is going to come out with a new one specifically for this strobe.

Here is a very topline report on it from when we first saw the new TTL converter and 250's at DEMA:
DEMA2007: Sea & Sea :: DivePhotoGuide.com - The Underwater Photo & Video Portal

Realistically, most of us have been shooting without TTL ever since digital cameras entered our lives. I'm so accustomed to it at this point that i don't foresee spending money on a TTL converter - that of course is your other option.

I totally disagree with that statement.
You need powerful strobes to shoot macro as well.

When shooting macro you may want to use a high apature to get good depth of field. To do this you will need a lot of light.

The reality is that you really don't need anywhere near the power for macro as you do for wide angle, especially w/o TTL. In fact digital sensors are so sensitive that using even a set of S&SYS120's can blowout macro shots, particulrly when you're using a 105 or greter (with film & TTL that wouldn't be the case). The power levels on the newer strobes (think INON's or the new S&S250's) are lifesavers so we can tone down the power on our larger strobes for macro. Try a pairof YS350's for macro on 1/4 power and you'll be burning out mot of your images. When i shoot macro i use 120's at 1/2 power and wide angle i use 350's or 250's. It's actually quite a big difference.

For wide angle - the more powerful the strobes, the more shooting options you have. I actually shoot wide angle with three strobe to even further those options to optimally light all the scenarios I might need to. While for macro, you can create great images with perfect lighting with far less powerful strobes, even at high f-stops.

It has to do with the sensitivity of digital sensors...same issue blows out our sunballs, although the latest round of cameras is changing that, thankfully. I miss my perfect sunballs :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom