Nikon D40

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unproductive

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a good chance that a housing will be made for the Nikon D40? I believe that it is not auto-focus. Will this make it unsuitable for underwater use? It looks like a great camera. Or is it better off to get the D50 or D80?

Thanks

I have not heard of anyone housing the D40...and most likely no one will.

It would well be worth your money to go with thw D80 instead. It is $400 - $500 more but is worth it for u/w use. The D80 has 11 area AF, better sensor and will go down to ISO 100. The D40 has 5 area AF, a lessor sensor and only goes to ISO 200. Also, there is the 10 MP vs 6 MP.

Most likely there woukdn't be $100 difference in the housing price (if Ikelite made one). Right now there is only $100 difference between the Ikelite for the D200 and Ike for the D50.

HTH,
Dave

I think we may be seeing a new class of cameras emerge with the d40, but agree with dave that the lens support at this time is too limited to choose it as a serious underwater camera. As compact cameras lose features like raw & manual exposures, slr cameras will drop in price to fill the gap.

I expect to see at least one manufacturer do something "special" for this camera. It may look like a compact digital camera housing, but inside will be something more...

The D40 is not released yet, but will probably be very popular for Nikon as a simplified DSLR for the masses who don't need or understand all the features on even the D50. Nikon developed this low end camera in order to fill this part of the market -- or else surrender it to competition. Personally, I see this camera as a nice compact travel camera on land, but too limited for serious work underwater.

I would bet that a few manufacturers of underwater housings will adapt a housing for it, if there is demand. But it does have a serious limitation: only certain newer Nikon lenses will work with it, specifically the AF-S or AF-I lenses with focus motors in the lenses. Many of these lenses are quite expensive, and have 10 pin connections to the camera instead of the earlier 5 pins. If you already have earlier lenses (like the 105 F2.8D micro), these perfectly good lenses won't work with it. So while the camera body is smaller and cheaper, the cost of new lenses may make the system cost unattractive for exising Nikon users.

So consider the type of lenses you use now and whether they will work on the D40 before getting too excited about this new guy. Unless you are looking for an excuse to go out and buy the newer lenses.... Hey, that's a great idea!

I haven't heard anything from Fantasea, but I'd be surprised if they don't develop a housing for it, as we have one for the D50. Right now all resources are going towards the D80 and 400xTi housings which are due out by around the end of the year.

The price point of a $5-600 D40 and Fantasea housing at say $850-900 is pretty attractive too.

Jack

As much as a camera, housing, and strobe package costs (at least $2500 for the cheapest stuff), I don't recommend skimping an extra hundred or two to go lower than a D50. You'll want full access to the wide range of lenses available to the D50 and above.

David

Hi Jack,
Fantasea will be testing its first prototype FD 40 housing with the new FSB 400 Flash housing next week in the Red Sea, we will keep you updated on the results.

Howard
Fantasea Line
www.fantasea.com

I am currently in the market for a new camera and leaning toward the D80. My present rig is a Oly c5000, not a bad camera for the price, but accessories are very limited and I have outgrown it. There are so many places to buy, directly with on line shops or through E-bay; it's all very confusing. I also hear of many that advertise and then don't have the unit in stock and don't deliver what you ordered. I will also want to buy a WA lens, housing, strobe etc. Anybody have suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom