Nikon D60 Digital SLR Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

V

viola123

Well I was looking at cameras online think If I should buy one with my money. I saw This one and I started looking through. Everything looked good to me, but then again I'm not that good with cameras. Does this camera really that great? Anyone here used it before?

Agreed!!! And it is the same advice for D5000.

Have the D90 and love it. I think there are a couple things you may want to consider:

- The D60 doesn't have a focus motor in the camera, as mentioned above, which means you can't autofocus on lenses that don't have a focus motor in the lens. If you have the D90, you can use tons of different lenses, including older lenses that can be very inexpensive on ebay.

- If you're planning to use it underwater, you probably are only going to use a couple of lenses (wide angle/fisheye and macro), but the housing and strobe setup will probably be at least $3k or so. Getting a better camera for $500 more doesn't really increase the total cost by that much.

The D60 lacks an autofocus motor, which is not good for underwater photography.

The lack of a focus motor in the body doesn't affect underwater
photography any more or less than other kinds of photography.
It just means that if you want autofocus, you need a lens that
has a motor, and there's a reasonable selection of those. It does
add to the lens price, for all kinds of photography.

Adm. Linda does well with her D40 (same as D60 except less
megapixels) on an Aquatica Housing.

Have the D90 and love it. I think there are a couple things you may want to consider:

- The D60 doesn't have a focus motor in the camera, as mentioned above, which means you can't autofocus on lenses that don't have a focus motor in the lens. If you have the D90, you can use tons of different lenses, including older lenses that can be very inexpensive on ebay.

the D60 (and D40, D40x ) support any AF-s lens from Nikon. All the AF-s lens have the motor in the lens....

These are great cameras. They don't have the motor in the body like you mentioned, but they are a smaller body which has its advantages and still take great pics.

I've got the D40x (which is what was sold before they came out with the D60) and it is a great camera.

- If you're planning to use it underwater, you probably are only going to use a couple of lenses (wide angle/fisheye and macro), but the housing and strobe setup will probably be at least $3k or so. Getting a better camera for $500 more doesn't really increase the total cost by that much.

however, if you're going to use it underwater and spend that much, I have to agree with you here. If you're going to spend THAT MUCH on a housing, domes, etc... I'd consider getting one for a higher model perhaps. like you mentioned. the extra $500 isn't that much more isn't a huge cost increase once you consider the housing strobes, lens, etc.

still nothing wrong with doing it with the D60 if that's what the original poster wants. It's just it'll pinch him twice in the wallet if he wants to upgrade later.

It just means that if you want autofocus, you need a lens that
has a motor, and there's a reasonable selection of those.

The nikon 10.5mm fisheye and tokina 10-17mm fisheye don't have auto-focus motors.

So if you want to use either of these lenses with auto-focusing, you'll want choose a camera body other than the D40, D60 or D5000.

The D60 I'm sure is a great camera. I would recommend if you're planning to buy a DSLR that you try to consider everything you think you will want to do with it (underwater/lenses/video, etc) and evaluate your options based on the anticipated costs & features of the whole system rather than just comparing one camera body versus another. The body is important, but the other components may be as important.

The lack of an internal focus motor is probably the main potential issue because it limits lens compatibility, and having a lens that you could use with autofocus or manual is not the same as having to use manual focus. The LCD display on the D90 is also much better, which can be pretty helpful underwater.

Scott & others;

Yes, the D60 lack AF in the body, but all of the new Nikon lenses, and many third party ones, have it available. The Tokina 10-17 W/A does not, but I would point out that you hardly ever focus those ultrawide lenses anyway. Set it at a decent aperture and zone focus with your fins; your DOF is like 2' to infinity.

The Sea & Sea RDX D-60 is an excellent housing and new users really like the simplicity and lightweight characteristics of this system.

Jack

I also own a DC60 and simply love it.

BUT...I use it a a land camera. Yet to buy a casing !!!

As everybody else been posting, you do have to buy AF-s lenses.
Don't have to be Nikon ( $$$$ ).

Back
Top Bottom