Nikon D90 Underwater Shots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have to correct myself.

Not acrylic back, but ALL ACRYLIC...

No release date so far, been asking in Q&A Sea&Sea forum, but no answer so far.
As far as I know S&S had only one product line, I mean, they can only make one type of housing at a time... the MDX line seems busy with MDX-D300s and the development-lunch of the MDX-D700... since these housings are all aluminum, my guess is that it is a complete different production line, but it must be occupied with RDX-D60s and -450Ds, they need a good run for it before doing -D90s. I wouldn't bet on anything this year.

Feel free to join the chorus in that topic in Q&A!!!

For the new guy going to buy a housing, check out this article by Norbert Wu:

Norbert Wu reviews three underwater housings for the Nikon D200 :: Wetpixel.com

He review 3 housings for the D200. He had good things to say about Ikelite. They all are pretty expensive but your talking a huge premium for the others. To me Norbert Wu's opinion is very credible. If you really get into UW photo, you will probably buy a whole new system in a few years. You should have plenty of camera to develop your technique even with a clear housing!

Good luck with whatever you pick!

Sean

Mariozi,
a good reason for sea&sea to release it quickly: Subal and Nexus are working on housings for D90, to be released shortly.

BTW, where's the Patima housing for D90? Just visited their website, and they mention a release date of...September.

Specs:
Aluminium alloy
color: silver
ports: 160mm dome port , 60mm flat port, and some extension rings
Size (without port & handle): 189mmx171mmx144mm.

a good reason for sea&sea to release it quickly: Subal and Nexus are working on housings for D90, to be released shortly.

Question is, will the D90-housing be a MDX-housing, or the new plastic-line from Sea&Sea?

Yeah, I think the RDX announcement made S&S step on it's toes this time. There is nothing but strong rumors of an RDX-D90, but if they were to release the D90 housing in MDX format (which was what I was looking for) they should have done so by now (I remember the DX-D80 housing was released only 2 months after the camera).

Anyway I couldn't wait, I just got a D300 and will get my MDX-D300 in a few days.

Good luck!

It was interesting to read that Ken Rockwell (Nikon D90) gave the D90 a good review and even stated its as good or if not better than a D300 or D700 is some aspects.

In regards to housings I use Ikelite, because they are cheap and do the job. Money saved goes towards the next housing for the next camera update (unless Nikon keep the model the same like Canon did for the 40D).

Your looking at a life spand these days of 24 months for DSLR's before updating. For those shooting as a hobby its alot of money to pay on housings only to have the model replaced every 2 years. It does put a big dint into ones back pocket, especially those on a budget.

I also think the resale on housing for digital housing is alot different than those on film. I dont think you would get a good return on a top of the line housing for Nikon D70/D100 these days and they are only 3-4 years old.

Hopefully Nikon will bring out something to compete directly (features and price) at the Canon 5DmkII. It which would be interesting, full frame and 21mp+ would have a long life as its basically on par with 35mm. It would be worth while spending money on a great housing as I think that a camera like this would be around for some time.

Regards Aussie

Last thing I've heard about RDX-D90. Release date around end Feb 2009.

And where did you hear this? I have only heard speculation.. but nothing from Sea & Sea and if it was Feb 09, I would think it would have been announced by now.

I know they intend on making one but as of now I have not heard any speculative dates other than spring 2009

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom