nikon p7800 vs canon g16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xrcjdx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
i am about to pull the trigger on a g16. before i do, are there any good reasons i should abandon that plan and go with the p7800 instead? i plan to continue with mostly macro, but video is an important consideration as well. and comments/thoughts will be appreciated.

i am about to pull the trigger on a g16. before i do, are there any good reasons i should abandon that plan and go with the p7800 instead? i plan to continue with mostly macro, but video is an important consideration as well. and comments/thoughts will be appreciated.
i considered both and went with the g16 mainly because i could only find an ikelite housing for the nikon. with the g16 there are multiple choices. i use wired strobes and grabbed an meikon housing that i added a bulkhead connection to.

my primary interest is macro and have got good results with a subsee +10.

since you mention macro, one thing to compare is minimal focus distance at full telephoto zoom. i got a surprise with the G16. i am not sure what the nikon can do.

this is something that is not normally documented (the manufacturer specs give minimal focus at full wide angle, not full telephoto zoom). my prior camera could focus within 1 inch at full telephoto (70mm) while the G16 is around a couple feet at full telephoto. IMHO this makes a wet diopter mandatory for macro work.

and the wet diopter is much harder to use than my old camera, but I get much bigger macro subjects now. so i am happy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom