Nikon Sb-105......any Good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lukeinman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Guys

I am looking to add an external strobe to my fuji f30 p&s setup and have been offered a Nikon SB-105. I would need to add an optic cable and get an arm etc as it is head only and I dont mind all this if I end up with a decent strobe.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this item and if so what opinion do you have on it?

Thanks in advance

Luke

I have been using the 105 for quite a while, so has a friend of mine. We are satisfied with the strobe. You can use it as slave, no cable needed. The strobe is powerful so effect set to 1/16 and use of diffusor is recommended

Wonderful strobe. I have used mine since they were introduced; actually Nikon replaced both my old SB103s for free due to a recall.

The only downside is the 3 second recycle time but not an issue if you do not use the full power setting.

Another nice feature is that the battery compartment is sealed from the strobe innards; therefore if you flood the battery compartment the strobe electronics will not be damaged. I had an o-ring issue on a project in the Maldives and the strobe flooded on every dive, went through a lot of batteries but never missed a shot!

Anyway, the 105s have a built in slave, I guess you could attach the optic cable over the slave sensor.

I use the SB105 with my Olympus c-750 & ikelite housing.
It's strictly a manual set up. (no TTL).

The SB105 has plenty of power & setting options.

It works for me.

Mike D

Here's a pic of my set up.

Mike D

I use the SB105 with my Olympus c-750 & ikelite housing.
It's strictly a manual set up. (no TTL).

The SB105 has plenty of power & setting options.

It works for me.

Mike D

Attachments

• Ram_arm.jpg
    Ram_arm.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 256
Hi all, I currently use a Nikon sb105 with my Oly C7070. Housed in a Patima housing with a Heinrichs conversion board installed. The conversion quenches the pre-flash and Whalah! TTL metering
Christian Weikamp <Heinrichs...
E-mail Address(es):
info@heinrichsweikamp.com

The housing adaptor originally supplied was not fully wired but perseverance paid off

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom