Ningaloo vs. GBR/Coral Sea liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While it does appear you're getting a lot of votes for Ningaloo, I'll share MHO. Is this the only time you'll ever go to Australia? Both sites are awesome and if you think you can eventually do BOTH, that's the way to go. If this is the only trip you think you'll be taking to Australia, I'd seriously consider a liveaboard on the GBR. First of all, that's the way we're doing it ... GBR on the first trip ... Ningaloo on the second a couple years later. You will see more diversity on the liveaboard (and Osprey is pretty incredible) - but you'll see the whale sharks at Ningaloo.... as well as the cool reef. You'll probably do more diving on the liveaboard, too. You won't go wrong either way, but, as I said, if it's the only trip you'll make to OZ, I'd suggest the GBR/Coral Sea.

Let's get wet! :palmtree:
Eric

going on a mike ball LOB in a couple of weeks to Coral sea will let you know how it goes

Hi all!!

As I'm also planning to do diving holidays in Australia in Nov this year, really appreciate this. Now still gathering info on where to go.Shall i go to Cairns(i only doved in tropical water so far) or shall i try the Western side(how is the water condition?) I have never been to liveaboard. So be on one would be a great experience i guess. But from this thread there's a lot of vote for Exmouth..hmm so i might consider it as well...

Albion: would really appreciate if you could tell me about the Liveaboard..once you came back from there..or when you are still there :06: Thanks in advance!

sue

Craigus:
While it does appear you're getting a lot of votes for Ningaloo, I'll share MHO. Is this the only time you'll ever go to Australia? Both sites are awesome and if you think you can eventually do BOTH, that's the way to go. If this is the only trip you think you'll be taking to Australia, I'd seriously consider a liveaboard on the GBR. First of all, that's the way we're doing it ... GBR on the first trip ... Ningaloo on the second a couple years later. You will see more diversity on the liveaboard (and Osprey is pretty incredible) - but you'll see the whale sharks at Ningaloo.... as well as the cool reef. You'll probably do more diving on the liveaboard, too. You won't go wrong either way, but, as I said, if it's the only trip you'll make to OZ, I'd suggest the GBR/Coral Sea.

Eric

While I'd like to say that the future holds for me many trips to Australia / the South Pacific, I'm not sure. This may well be my one and only trip to the area. =(

Thanks for everyone's replies as they have been very helpful.

Hello, Sue:

About four years ago, we did our first liveaboard. Probably, like may folks, we thought a liveaboard might be overkill for us - or only for warrior diehards. Admittedly, we do like to dive a lot, but, like Groucho, we do want to take our cigars out of our mouths every now and then.

Well, our first liveaboard (Caribbean Explorer) was awesome. We did go with a group, so knew a lot of folks, but the accomodations, the food, the daily schedule and, best of all, the crew were just plain great. We had such a great time that we decided Explorer Ventures might know their stuff, we then booked a week on the Nimrod Explorer on the northern GBR and in the Coral Sea. That did it. The experience was superb! We got hooked on liveaboards. We've done others and are planning to dive on the Sea Safari III east of Bali this winter.

So, for us, liveaboards weren't overkill - just a great way to do quite a bit of diving and get to places you don't get to on day boats. Check out our online dive log for some pic's of liveaboard life.

Whatever you do, have a blast!
Eric.

Hi Craigus,

Thanks for the tip. Looks like you had a blast! excellent photos and great info. There's something else bothering me: getting seasick. When i was in Thailand we went to Sail Rock, it was 2 hours boatride and the sea quite rough with some part of the journey we were blessed with showers :) and i had a terrible seasick.Almost no energy to dive that day. Is it going to be similar situation with liveaboard in GBR?

Did you book in advance or just plain go there and search for one..?As i browse around the net the price seems high and some people recommend to just straight heading to the operators and pick one. I'm still gathering info for me and my partner/buddy for our diving holiday for 10 days in November and we wouldn't want to waste time.just dive..

greetings,
sue

getting seasick. When i was in Thailand we went to Sail Rock, it was 2 hours boatride and the sea quite rough with some part of the journey we were blessed with showers :) and i had a terrible seasick.Almost no energy to dive that day. Is it going to be similar situation with liveaboard in GBR?

The seasickness and constant motion can be a problem -- you're on a small boat, and it's a big ocean. We took the Diversity -- it's less than 70 feet -- to the Coral Sea last October and enjoyed, according to the crew, the calmest seas in six months. My bride was constantly tired from the motion, even though she only had one bout of real sickness.

The rocking motion is a lot less once you're inside the GBR, but the diving there isn't as good as at Osprey Reef in the Coral Sea.

Valwood1:
getting seasick. When i was in Thailand we went to Sail Rock, it was 2 hours boatride and the sea quite rough with some part of the journey we were blessed with showers :) and i had a terrible seasick.Almost no energy to dive that day. Is it going to be similar situation with liveaboard in GBR?

The seasickness and constant motion can be a problem -- you're on a small boat, and it's a big ocean. We took the Diversity -- it's less than 70 feet -- to the Coral Sea last October and enjoyed, according to the crew, the calmest seas in six months. My bride was constantly tired from the motion, even though she only had one bout of real sickness.

The rocking motion is a lot less once you're inside the GBR, but the diving there isn't as good as at Osprey Reef in the Coral Sea.

My wife and I also dived diversety to Osprey and GBR My wife was slightly sea sick after a very rough crossing to Osprey. We thought it would go as the waters got calm but once she had started even the slightest motion was upseting, yes she did take motion sick meds before we left.

Did the mike Ball Spoilsport trip to Coral Sea and Yongala the other week. Inner reef dives were ok nothing special, nice corals not so many fish as I’m used to. The outer reefs were better with good variety of fish and marine life. Had the Scuba zoo shark feed which went pretty well with some silver tips mixing it up with the Grey Reef’s. Was a bit skeptical about this one but it went well no hand feeding and the sharks were given plenty of space to do there thing. Then did a night dive at same location on a nearby reef, this was excellent, nice macro on the reef and loads of sharks still in the area and patrolling nearby. On the swim back to the boat had two silvertips circling us and very close during our safety stop under the boat, I could have stayed all night watching them. Then came the best part two days at the SS Yongala, Wow, wow wow wow, never seen so many fish together except in an aquarium and all of them seemed to be on steroids.
First dive started with me accidentally cornering a 300lb grouper under the keel and he virtually pushed me out the way, ++4 foot Trevally, and barracuda so big I think they scared the reef sharks away. The trevally and fusiliers were so dense you could not see through the school which ran full length of the wreck at times. Over the course of 9 dives, as well as the fish soup we saw eagle ray, Jenkins whip rays, black blotch (bull) rays (on the night dive they would stack up in formation like pancakes so close you could touch), Leopard shark, guitar shark, one of the other divers saw bull sharks. Every dive was different and all so good. A couple of day boats came out but we were able to stagger our dives to be in water when they were out (and they only stayed a few hours anyway). Flat seas and clear skies couldn’t ask for more.
The boat itself is really well laid out and the crew did a fantastic job, great food and well organized, most of all it was fun. Not the cheapest trip out there but well worth it IMHO.

I'm lapping up all this great info. I've heard so much great stuff about the Yongala and WA they are definitely on my list. So Leaky, have you made a decision? ..oh, and you needn't worry about a leaky drysuit in Oz, since you won't need one there :) hehe
My experience is admittedly limited, but I will agree that liveaboards are the way to go, especially if you are leaving from Cairns. The day trips from there are nothing spectacular. It was a let down after the liveaboard I did out of Airlie Beach to the outer reef. Wherever you leave from, you need to get further out to the outer reef, IMHO. So when thinking GBR don't think just Cairns! They are some great (and less busy) places south of there, and if you want a break to something other than diving, the Whitsundays are fabulous for sailing. Oh, and somebody mentioned seasickness. Our trip was rough just to get out there and a few people were sick, so taking something along for that is a good idea... IF you are in fact opting the GBR/liveaboard route.
Have fun, and look forward to hearing about it either way when you get back! :)

Back
Top Bottom