ningaloo whale sharks - snorkelling only?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

benchan

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys!

First time posting here! I'm planning to go to Ningaloo for dives with whalesharks but I heard that you're not allowed to dive with them - only snorkel with them. Also, I heard that it gets really crowded with people and the each snorkeller is only allowed in the waters for a very short time for each whaleshark. Is that true?

Thanks!

When I did this in May 2003, the rules were:

-- Max ten people in the water (including guide)
-- You have to be at least 3m from the body of the shark, 4m from the tail. If it comes towards you, you have to get out of the way
-- No freediving, you must stay on the surface
-- No flash photography

The whaleshark trips were snorkelling only. You can also book dives in the same area and hope to get lucky, but your chances would be much, much lower (we were a long way off the reef when we found our shark and we had a spotter plane helping us). I did the trip from Coral Bay and managed four 10-minute snorkelling sessions with the shark. By the end of that I was exhausted! Very cool experience, but very managed.

Zept

I've done the snorkel with the whale sharks a while ago and yes it is well managed and controlled ... and it has to be. This way this experience gets preserved for everyone.

Some people do get to dive with whale sharks, but from my knowledge there are NO organised SCUBA trips with these critters in Australia.

check out this site for all diving in australia

www.underwater.com.au is a great resource for all you diving questions - lots of stories, photos and excellent info.

It's THE Scuba diving portal for Australia. Comprehensive information on dive shops, liveaboards, charter and day boats, accommodation, gear and more - community meeting place for divers and marine enthusiasts.

See you underwater .....

Tim

Thanks Zept and Tim!

That helps to clarify my questions since a number of operators call it "Whale shark diving". Maybe I'll do it when I'm really old and still haven't seen a whale shark in my regular dives! :)

Apart from the whale sharks, is the Coral Bay/Ningaloo area worth diving? Been reading about mantas, dugongs, sharks and dolphins there but are they really common there or is it just the occasional sighting?

Manta rays are around out of Coral Bay all year round but are seasonal (usually beginning in May and running into November for the best numbers) out of Exmouth. Snorkellers and divers can see them.

Both Coral Bay and Exmouth offer access to the Ningaloo Reef - they are about 150kms apart and it takes roughly 1.5 hours to drive between them.

Turtles, sharks, rays, sea snakes (more Exmouth), eels, 100s of various reef fish & pelagics, nudibranchs & big clams (more Coral Bay) are daily sights from both Coral Bay and Exmouth. Mating and laying season for the turtles usually starts around Nov and runs through Mar/April more or less.

dugongs are around, but they are very very shy and really don't like boats or people too much. Seen more from the boats than while in the water. If dugongs are a top priority, check out the Shark Bay area.

Whale sharks are done on snorkel for a variety of reasons most notably 1) you can keep up and 2) no chance of getting bent! Coral Bay has fewer operators licenced to run and so has fewer people around. Best time? I believe late May through June - fewer people, more and slower sharks.

Worth diving? You bet - always something new to see. Best location - Coral Bay or Exmouth? Impossible to say...varied reef structures between the two. If Mantas are a priority and you are outside of the spring, then hit Coral Bay. The two towns are really close enough to do both if you have 5 or more days (maybe four if you are keen!).

Apart from the whale sharks, is the Coral Bay/Ningaloo area worth diving? Been reading about mantas, dugongs, sharks and dolphins there but are they really common there or is it just the occasional sighting?

End of July 2002 at Ningaloo was incredible. The sea was literally boiling with humpback whales, mantas, shark feeding frenzies, spinner dolphins, you name it. Apart from the reef, you've also got the Navy Pier which is an amazing dive, and the Muiron Islands for fabulous coral gardens.
I think the place needs some time to do the different dives . . .if you gave it just 1 day and dived the reef, you mightn't see anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom