NiTek Computer Protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DoubleBubbles

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all; I recently purchase a NiTek computer made by DiveRite. I would like to get some sort of lens protector for it. I see that DiveRite offers some sort of lens protector in their catalog, but not a full cover protector like they have for the NiTek3. I was wondering if anyone knows of an aftermarket full cover for this computer? I see that LenzGuardz makes a lens protector for the NiTek, but I was wondering if they cloud up over time, or if they can be removed at some point in the future. I look forward to hearing from you experts out here.

A quick and cheep lens protector for anything (including palm pilots) is clear packing tape. Just cut it to shape, use, and replace as necessary.

Works great on my Genesis ReACT dive computer.

Dive-Rite makes a lens protector for the Nitek. I think the part number is 8003.

M

I use this stuff called Shark Skinz. LDS picked some up at DEMA. Will post way to purchase upon finding. I use on my watch, Nitek, and other computers. I even put some on my SPG.

I ended up with a product called Lenz Guardz; same item that DiveRite sells, only $2.00 cheaper. I still think DiveRite could/should make an acrylic guard for the NiTek like they do for the NiTek3.

DoubleB,

If they sell enough Niteks, I'm sure they will. I have the guard for the original Nitek 1 and Nitek 3 and for the kind of diving I do it's a "money saver". Go to the Dive-Rite website under contacts... they're more than willing to work with anyone. Heck, they over-nighted a HID bulb to me at no charge the day before a cave trip! Mike's great, he's helped me more than once.

Thanks TekDiver; I will call them in the morning and see what happens. Who knows; maybe we can get them to consider making one. The NiTek is a great computer, and I am a firm believer in doing all I can to keep my equipment as nice as possible.:rolleyes:

Bubbles x 2,

I have never made one of these for a NITek computer, but from the photos I have seen of those computers, it should be doable. If you are "handy" and have a few shop tools, it can be done quite easily...

I have made face protectors for Matrix and Oceanic computers by getting some 1/16" acrylic from the local plastic shop; frequently they just give me a scrap, but you can buy a 6" x 6" scrap for almost nil. Of course, the best "color" is clear. Then you just cut it to size, round the edges with a file, drill any holes (a drill press is preferred, but an ordinary hand drill will do) and, if necessary, file them to shape. You can polish the edges with a buffing wheel, but that is not manditory...just make sure they are not sharp.

To attach it to the face of the computer, just use four small drops of clear silicon "construction" sealant. The computers I have made faces for are slightly convex and you can make the face protectors convex with some careful work with a heat gun. HOWEVER THAT IS REALLY NOT NECESSARY since the silicon will "set" at different depths. Because the NiTek seems to have a larger face than a Matrix, you might consider putting a dab of silicon near the center...but away from any readout area.

Believe it or not, I takes longer to write these "instructions" than it actually takes to make a face protector!

I will probably try Tiger Skin someday, but I like the "solid feel" of a thicker acrylic...

Joewr

Hey Joewr! I have been giving that very idea some thought. I had also thought about using the silicone sealant as a glue but was worried this thing would set up too high. Have you had any problems with it catching on things, or with stuff getting lodged between the guard and the lense? :rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom