Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for posting this Andy, very interesting. I do have a couple of comments though. Interpreting cognitive impairment via flicker-fusion rates, is a bit speculative. Flicker-fusion perception can be influenced by both peripheral (retinal and optic nerve neurons) and central (brain) processes. The circuits involved in processing information in the retina (and transferring that information to the brain) and the circuits involved in processing information in the brain rely on different neurotransmitters and mechanisms. Thus changes in flicker-fusion perception does not necessarily indicate cognitive (e.g. problem solving) impairment.

With that said, I do find the fact that the perceptual changes persisted after the dive interesting and perhaps not surprising. Whatever the neural mechanism, cognitive impairment from narcosis results from increased tissue loading of inert gasses. Every diver knows that ascending does not instantly clear tissues of residual inert gasses. Thus, we might expect lingering effects of increased inert gas loads. I also find it interesting that they mention previous studies in rats showing that increased PN2 increases GABA activity. GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter who's job is to slow down or stop activity in neural circuits. Regardless of how well these finding translate into lingering cognitive impairment from narcosis, it's interesting and certainly something to keep in mind. Thanks for sharing!

I'm very much the layman, not the scientist. The study mentioned that CFFF paralleled EEG results. That surely suggests that brain, not peripheral, processes are the ones influenced? CFFF was selected as the method of study because it could be employed in real time on a dive (EEG cannot). I guess that comparative pre- and post-dive measurements could be taken with EEG, if the need to create measurements on the dive itself were ignored.

EEGs encompass a much broader range of brain activities than does CFFF estimates. I suspect they simply found some correlations between the CFFF estimates and EEGs that made the researchers confident enough in the technique would be a useful tool. EEGs themselves are also not good indicators of cognitive performance. Despite the complaints offered by these researchers in their study, behavioral psychologists have actually developed a rather robust set of methods for assessing cognitive functions behaviorally. I'd be really interested in seeing this study repeated using some of those methods. Regardless, as I said, it is a cool study and provides one of (if not the) first quantitative measure of the lingering effects of narcosis! Maybe, that's why I've gotten dumber of the years!

One thing that I have experienced and seen with deep air is that even after accelerated deco with Nitrox and O2 we will get distances, time, names, and what we saw all wrong. One time I came up from a 185' air dive in Lake Huron and said I found the engine a 100yds off the wreck when in actuality it was about 50ft. Seeing myself on film saying it also showed me that my speech was not up to par as it was before I got in and my thought process was also behind.

Another thing this would probably link to is the theory of narcosis resistance/ accumulation. Makes you think what the long-term effects on our brain is after many deep air dives? Possibly similar to drug addicts and alcoholics?

@Jared0425. That's fascinating. I'm may have to get a set of simple cognitive skills tasks and try them on myself and buddies post diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom