Nitrox 32 first dive, air second dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two thoughts... First, you may well be able to buy a week's worth of nitrox at a reduced rate...

Regarding the profiles, either is going to work well for you BUT there is a very real risk in you forgetting to change the gas on your computer between dives. If you leave it at 32 or 36 by accident, and then dive air on your second dive, you may well find yourself on the way to the chamber Most computers won't allow you to change gas once you have started your dive, so if you realize the error of your ways in the first few minutes of your dive, you will still need to surface to make the change.

I don't mean to insult your intelligence... but I can assure that this is what I would do... guaranteed. (Also why I dive a Petral... it lets me change while I am diving! :)

Dive the 32%. Pay the bill. Enjoy not being anywhere near your NDL's. We just spent 6 days at 3P's and that is what we did. Others with us were pushing NDL's and we didn't have to think about them other than noticing our computers still had lots and lots of time. It is worth it.

Dive the 32%. Pay the bill. Enjoy not being anywhere near your NDL's. We just spent 6 days at 3P's and that is what we did. Others with us were pushing NDL's and we didn't have to think about them other than noticing our computers still had lots and lots of time. It is worth it.

This is good advice. In the overall scheme of things, the cost is nothing...

Regarding the profiles, either is going to work well for you BUT there is a very real risk in you forgetting to change the gas on your computer between dives. If you leave it at 32 or 36 by accident, and then dive air on your second dive, you may well find yourself on the way to the chamber Most computers won't allow you to change gas once you have started your dive, so if you realize the error of your ways in the first few minutes of your dive, you will still need to surface to make the change.
And, you may need to stay at the surface for 10 minutes until your computer resets and thinks it is ready for the "next" dive.

And, you may need to stay at the surface for 10 minutes until your computer resets and thinks it is ready for the "next" dive.

LOL... Stupid computers. I used to use Dive-Rite Duos... those TUSA/Apeks/Seiko pucks. If you were using Nitrox, it was supposed to reset back to air at midnight or something. Half the time, mine would reset to "nothing". I'd get 10' down and it would be beeping it's little heart out. I'd surface and spend the next 10 minutes with my arm over my head waiting for it to forgive me.

I think that's the main reason I got a Shearwater. It treats me like the (careless) adult I am...

Actually, the Duo (and its clones) reset to 99% O2 and 79% N2. Nasty mix; don't ask me how I know.

First, you may well be able to buy a week's worth of nitrox at a reduced rate.
Not on Cozumel, that I know of. Most Ops get their tanks, certainly their nitrox tanks, from the major fill station on the island. With two companies trying to make a profit, plus the extra management and handling, there is not much room for discounts.

I don't think you two are in disagreement. When he said nitrox "gives longer NDLs" I think he was assuming a diver is actually going to take advantage of that and thus would not be diving "the same dive profile", so his statement that it gives no added safety relates to your second paragraph that nitrox to it's limits carries the same risk as air to it's limits.
True, but I was also thinking of how some suggest "diving nitrox on air settings for extra safety," which is a waste. It may well seem that lowering nitrogen loads will lower risks, but hits are so rare that such cannot really be verified. DAN studies found no increased safety exhibited diving nitrox on air tables when they ran trials.

I used to dive air, till we started diving HP steel 120's in Cozumel. Now, it's an absolute no brainer. Nitrox all the way. 70-90 min dives and rarely any issues with NDL's. Strictly 32%, personaly I've never seen 36% with my dive op. Also, as mentioned by others, the minimal cost addition is WELL worth the enhanced dive experience.

Well, thanks everyone for their input. We did 15 dives in 7 days. 32% first dive, 36% second dive, and air for the night dive at Paradise reef. As others have said, the air only divers on the boat either had to adjust their profile or clear their obligations on their way up. There were even some lockouts with the conservative computers.
We did have to stay on top of changing the percentages between dives, but that's what dive buddies are for as well. We dive with the three of us, and one of us would remind the others.
No one in our group got close to any obligations. Not even Suunto guy :)
Thanks again. 3P and Jorge were great as usual.

Back
Top Bottom