Nitrox and Air Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is one thing I haven't mentioned and maybe that is why my LDS is asking for separate tanks for me and my wife. I didn't think it was important but after reading the responses it might be the reason. you all mention depends on how your LDS fills there tanks. This is where the issue may be.

I am a full timing Snowbird that travels the US in a RV. Thus except for when I winter in Florida I will be going to various LDS around the US. thus that means I may run into many different ways of having the Air Bended.

Since it depends so much on how they get filled I think it probably will be very important to just have separate tanks for Nitrox. I may just go down to carrying 1 tank each of air and 1 tank each of Nitrox as I may run into places that may not be able to do Nitrox, especially in Rural america.

There is one thing I haven't mentioned and maybe that is why my LDS is asking for separate tanks for me and my wife. I didn't think it was important but after reading the responses it might be the reason. you all mention depends on how your LDS fills there tanks. This is where the issue may be.

I am a full timing Snowbird that travels the US in a RV. Thus except for when I winter in Florida I will be going to various LDS around the US. thus that means I may run into many different ways of having the Air Bended.

Since it depends so much on how they get filled I think it probably will be very important to just have separate tanks for Nitrox. I may just go down to carrying 1 tank each of air and 1 tank each of Nitrox as I may run into places that may not be able to do Nitrox, especially in Rural america.

I do this all the time.

My tanks are O2 clean. My LDS does pp blending for Nitrox. When I travel, I will get them filled with whatever, air or Nitrox. If I go to a shop and they pp blend Nitrox, and I get air, I don't worry about it. If I go to a shop and the bank Nitrox, and I get air, I simply clean my tanks.

Really the VH OxyHacker book will answer all these questions.

After reading that, you can then decide whether you want tank dedicated for Nitrox or not. It is a good $25.

Here is the link again.

www.airspeedpress.com/newoxyhacker.html

I think if you buy seperate tanks for that reason Your wasting money. It is really not necessary. And usually it will only take a call ir two to find a solid place to fill your tanks with clean Air. And almost all dive shops or I should say atleast that I have been to are able to do Nitrox Fills. So no reason you couldn't just get Nitrox instead of Air unless you wanetd to save money and get Air.

My wife and I have all our own equipment we use when we dive. We each have two tanks with Air in them so we can do two tank dives without refilling. These are brand new and less than 3 months old since we just got certified. We are going to be taking Nitrox classes in the next 6 months after we get more comfortable since we are Newbies. Our LDS is telling us we need to get seperate tanks for Nitrox. Is this truely the case and we will have to purchase third and possibly fourth tanks, or can our existing tanks just be filled with Nitrox and we put stickers on them to track what tank has what. Our Steel tanks were not cheap and I hate to think in the next 6 months we have to purchase more.

I use my tanks for both air and nitrox. They have been O2 cleaned and I just ask for O2 clean air if I am getting air fills rather than nitrox fills.

There is no issue with getting air put in your O2 cleaned tanks if you ask for "clean air". That's how it works locally to me anyway.

Your LDS doesn't know what they are talking about if they say you need seperate tanks. They might be setup that way but they should have advised you that you can put air in your nitrox tanks under other systems.

There is no issue with getting air put in your O2 cleaned tanks if you ask for "clean air". That's how it works locally to me anyway.

Echo Saspotato, if they pp blend Nitrox there is a 99% chance you're good to go. Also the dive shop should have posted their latest air test result.

Regardless of where you travel and where you get your fills, your existing tanks are fine for nitrox. As many have said, if they will be filled via partial pressure blending they need to be O2 cleaned. But buying a new tank to get one that's O2 cleaned is like buying a new car because the oil needs to be changed. In fact, if you bought a new tank, it would need to be O2 cleaned as well. It's exactly the same as using your existing tank.

Just for laughs, ask the shop if you will need a dedicated regulator for nitrox. If they say yes, you can be sure they're either out to clean your pockets or they have a very poor understanding of nitrox.

Just for laughs, ask the shop if you will need a dedicated regulator for nitrox. If they say yes, you can be sure they're either out to clean your pockets or they have a very poor understanding of nitrox.

I'm sure I'm going to regret this...

If you are going to use high F02 gasses, you need to have a regulator that has parts that are compatible for high F02's.

Technically, they could say yes and not necessarily be trying to fleece him.

Is there a flame suit on and off emoticon?

I'm sure I'm going to regret this...

If you are going to use high F02 gasses, you need to have a regulator that has parts that are compatible for high F02's.

Technically, they could say yes and not necessarily be trying to fleece him.

Is there a flame suit on and off emoticon?

It is irrelevant to the OP though as they are doing a Basic Nitrox course.

I think you may be destined for disappointment. I can envision many locales that don't do Nitrox at all. If you want to use your own tanks, they will inevitably get contaminated.

I mentioned earlier the possibility of renting tanks when you won't be able to get Nitrox or O2 compatible air fills. You might be able to rent tanks with Nitrox although that doesn't seem available around here.

Unless you fill your tanks with 28% (pretty thin), you won't be able to dive to all recreational depths. 32% is limited to 111 feet and 36% is limited to 95 feet. As you won't know depth until you get to the site, it is more than likely you will have the wrong blend. 32% is considered the most general purpose mix but it is still limiting.

There's nothng wrong with having multiple tanks but I think for your scenario, Nitrox is going to be a PITA. Consider diving air while you travel and have the tanks cleaned when you get back to Fl. They need to have a VIP every year anyway.

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom