nitrox blending

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does that just imply that the lubricant used in their compressors isn't approved for use with O2? Perhaps they have a block that uses a lubricant that is safer to use with higher O2 levels. There are no doubt people out there that use non nitrox compressors to pump high O2% without an issue and against the recommendations of the manufacturer. It's one of those things that it's only an issue the one time it becomes an issue. There are people out there who have claimed to PP fill without O2 cleaning and have never had an issue. I can't verify that claim nor can I say that it makes me second guess getting my tanks O2 cleaned every year at Viz. I am curious as to the outcome as I have been looking at purchasing a booster pump so I can PP fill and blend myself and just pay to top off with air. Isn't there a Bauer rep that frequents the board?

There are people out there who have claimed to PP fill without O2 cleaning and have never had an issue.

They do it here in Libya including 100% deco bottles no incident so far. Scary stuff.

The Coltri compressors are rated for up to 40% to 3600 psi of membrane generated Nitrox. Officially, they don't endorse the use of continuous blending. In order to make it a Nitrox block, all the o-rings are Viton and none of the ring are made of teflon.

Does that just imply that the lubricant used in their compressors isn't approved for use with O2? Perhaps they have a block that uses a lubricant that is safer to use with higher O2 levels. There are no doubt people out there that use non nitrox compressors to pump high O2% without an issue and against the recommendations of the manufacturer. It's one of those things that it's only an issue the one time it becomes an issue. There are people out there who have claimed to PP fill without O2 cleaning and have never had an issue. I can't verify that claim nor can I say that it makes me second guess getting my tanks O2 cleaned every year at Viz. I am curious as to the outcome as I have been looking at purchasing a booster pump so I can PP fill and blend myself and just pay to top off with air. Isn't there a Bauer rep that frequents the board?

no oils used to lubricate compressors are O2 clean. That is why booster pumps, and compressors like the Rix are used for 100% O2 use since they are oil-free. Oil is what we are specifically removing when we O2 clean tanks/valves/regulators and if there is oil in the system, there's no way to guarantee the safety

no oils used to lubricate compressors are O2 clean. That is why booster pumps, and compressors like the Rix are used for 100% O2 use since they are oil-free. Oil is what we are specifically removing when we O2 clean tanks/valves/regulators and if there is oil in the system, there's no way to guarantee the safety
Pardon my ignorance if the compressors are oil free what do they use to combat friction? Wouldn't that cause them to wear out exponentially faster? Isn't there O2 safe lubricant that we use in our first stages?

I am not being a smart @ss seriously wanting to know since I am dabbling with the idea of getting a booster pump or a small electric compressor for myself

They use four special orings in the third stage that wear out one by one. When the fourth one goes, it is time to rebuild. Rebuilding is easy. Depending on conditions, that can happen in 50 or 300 hours. No oil changes so that is a bit of an offset. Lots to read by searching the net for Rix SA-6

Pardon my ignorance if the compressors are oil free what do they use to combat friction? Wouldn't that cause them to wear out exponentially faster? Isn't there O2 safe lubricant that we use in our first stages?

I am not being a smart @ss seriously wanting to know since I am dabbling with the idea of getting a booster pump or a small electric compressor for myself
synthetic oil for sake of argument does not burn at operationg temps. mineral oil does so going to synthetic oil is a major step. no burn no CO aftermath.

I am hoping to spend some more of the owners money this year to set up a continual blending rig where I can have 32% on tap (saving 4 bank bottles for it) and not have to PP Blend everything. I'm basing my decisions on the fact that there is a huge community experience of safely and successfully doing upto 40% through compressors in good shape and with no systemic problems that I've heard of.

The one thing I am going to make sure to incorporate is going to be a dead-man switch to shut the O2 flow off IMMEDIATELY in the case of a compressor shutdown. That way if something makes it shut down without my consent (most often because the sump for the auto drains is full and needs to be manually drained) I'm not loading that intake with 100% O2, just sitting there waiting for the compressor to kick back in. I'm sure it would be spectacular when it occurs, and also a good sign that I'd need to clear out my desk, inventory my tools and hit the bricks.

Make each dive better than the last one.

Steve

Something to look at. continous blending should not be a problem. doing DNX may very well be as high humidity is hard on the seaves that separate N2 from O2

Back
Top Bottom