NITROX can go BOOM?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a little worried that there is a myth in the making here. Probably a lot of misunderstanding is coming from the word COMBUSTION. It doesn't necessarily mean explosion, it is meant to indicate an accellerated corrosion/oxidizing process. Pressure and temperature are generally accelerating factors in all chemical reactions. From a chemist's point of view any oxidizing reaction could be called a combustion regardless of the speed at wich it occurs.
This also means that at high pressures like 200 Bar there might be a problem in the use of Ti alloys in terms of surface damage or cracking inthe first stage, although I'm not an expert at that but at intermediate pressures in the second stage I don't think it's a problem at all.
I would not get into specification of safe levels of oxygen in the mix because it's not clear that it is a matter of threshold as opposed to speed of reaction.
There might also be other issues with Ti-alloys, but you'd need to be a metallurgist to know. I do recall that there are specific problems with stainless steel alloys under a combination of high stresses and the presence of high concentrations of Chlorine-gas as was found in swimming pool roof constructions suspended by stainless bolts that snapped although not anywhere near normal breaking load.
If you really want to know, call a professional.

"They're all around us.... good, we've got them surrounded from the inside."

The danger w/Ti is the danger of ignition caused by titanium dust, not cracking or anything like that. Titanium is simply not a suitable metal for O2 use.

Wheeewwwww!!! I mean it, THANX!!! That kinda scared the c**p out of me. So it's a Ti mix on the OUTSIDE, and not inside where bad juju can occur. Thanx BO, I like my reg. I knew I was getting a good one but was unsure of the EAN capabilites. If it breathed well, shallow and deep, with O2 I was very happy :scubadive .

This EAN thing spooked me. Thanx EVERYONE for educating me and helping me lay these concerns to rest. You guys have my thanx and loyalty:icosm01: !!

NOW I'LL BE UNDER MORE OFTEN FOR EVEN LONGER BWWAHAHAHAHAHA :vampire: !!! Omigod!! What have you done?!

-Manta:crossbone

pants!:
I disagree completely. It's verifiably not the best regulator that is currently being produced. It's not being produced anymore :wink:

Thanks pants I did'nt catch that!

HA you got me! Or did you... The only difference between the BP and the 200 is the pretty picture on the side so "technically" it is still produced... it just comes in a plain wrapper LOL.

StSomewhere:
No, the finish on the Black Pearl isn't titanium at all. So you were always OK. :)
Apeks would disagree with you.

Quoted from the link above:

The 'High Tec' grades of Chromium, Titanium, and Zirconium give this regulator an extremely hard, low-friction Diamond PVD finish (Physical Vapour Deposition - a computer controlled process that guarantees performance and reproducibility)

Vapor deposition is where you take the cast and machined part and heat it to very high temperatures in a chamber where the 'High Tec' metals are vaporized (like in sodium or mercury lights). The vaporized metals condense on the cooler metal part leaving a very thin (few microns) layer bonded to the part.

The description from the link did not say what the base metal was, but I'd assume it is brass. If it wasn't, that page would say "The Black Pearl is made of titanium. Nothin' but pure titanium. Oh, and did we mention it was titanium?" Too expensive to waste the marketing opportunity.

If you still have any concerns about using that reg with nitrox you can always send it to me. I'd be glad to test it for you. Two or three years of testing should just about cover it. :D

___

I've been using an MK25 titanium first stage for mixes up to 40% and not had any problems with it flashing in the past two years.

Don't worry. You'll be fine with the reg. If you use it for anything above 40% get it O2 cleaned as you would any reg.

Dredging through my foggy and failing mind, Im failing to see a link with 02 and Ti???? Any alchemist types out there that can explain this to me?????????

Back
Top Bottom