Nitrox card required to dive, not just for fills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take a place like Boynton Beach, Fl. The reef crown runs 37 to 40 feet deep, the bottom of the inshore ledge at 55 to 60.

The boats give you a one hour dive, many will give you more like a 35 or 40 minute surface interval. Nitrox in a 100 is easy for the boat to "dispense" and it requires no real skill level to use, given the computer on the wrist of the newly minted OW diver, that tells them when their 36 percent mix has them at time to head up.....This IS the way people dive....the boat WILL want divers to enjoy each dive as long as possible ( and the boats do NOT want to penalize a new diver with air or a small tank and shorter dives).

For the way we dive in Palm Beach, it just makes more sense to put EVERYONE on Nitrox. I think the dirt cheap NASE E-course is a great way around the profit center crap:)

I don't get it. How inconvenient is it to carry something the size of a nitrox C-card ? And doesn't at least PADI now have an on-line "look up" to to confirm certification if you don't have a card? Ok, so you were put off by the experience, but hey, this is such a prevenatble thing, that the lesson learned for all thread readers is simply this: when engaging in any activity that requires or may require certain credentials, be sure you carry those credentials with you. That includes having your drivers license and proof of insurance when driving, appropriate C cards when diving, and so on. Sorry, JahJahwarrior, but on this issue, I think your anger and retaliation may not be appropriate. But then, I am not there in Florida and I do not know the people you were interacting with. Maybe they were being a little overcautious, but you should not be surprised that they wanted to see a nitrox card.
DivemasterDenis

Well, technically the nitrox card isn't required for you to use a nitrox tank you bring yourself ... it's supposed to be required in order to get a nitrox fill, or to rent a tank filled with nitrox.

I can understand why they'd ask ... but they didn't have to. And if they're going to then the business needs to understand that they're asking for something that's not technically required, and set their clients expectations accordingly ... decent business practices 101 ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added May 14th, 2013 at 07:54 AM ----------

I keep scanned copies of my cards in my log book, never been questioned or asked to produce the originals.

Most folks don't bring a log book on a day boat ... I know I never have ... why would you?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

it could be the fact that there have been issues with people diving the wrong mix and getting into trouble -- just preventing liability. but i agree with the OP -- they should have stated it upfront. i was curious and it's not stated on their website anywhere, explicitly or implied.

I'd be willing to bet that if you took the complaint directly to the business, they'd be willing to communicate better in the future. Most businesses do want to be as attractive to potential customers as they can ... and in this case, better communication requires minimal effort. So why wouldn't they?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added May 14th, 2013 at 07:54 AM ----------

Most folks don't bring a log book on a day boat ... I know I never have ... why would you?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My log book lives in my Pelican case and travels with me on day trips or overseas trips, I usually write up my log after the dives when my gear is drip drying before packing it into the car for the journey home. Anyway that's just me, I am used to living in countries where I have to carry various forms of ID in order to prove whatever may have to be proven.

Why not keep scanned copies in your smart phone provided you have one of course.

Back on topic, never been asked to provide my Nitrox card when diving nitrox that I have brought with me, and to be honest fail to see the logic of it.

I'd put that right up with hotels/motels checking marriage licenses and birth certificates. Might as well put a copy of them in your log book along with the copy of your passport and drivers license. Where does the BS stop?

I don't carry log books, c cards or anything with me. I carry one card, my cave card, in my wallet. Do I need to start carrying a drysuit card, stage card, deco card, nitrox card, advanced nitrox card, scooter card and sm card just to do my normal dives now? The only reason I carry the cave card is for showing the park rangers if they ask. Ridiculous.

Sounds perfectly reasonable for the Dive OP IMO. Who's to say you are even certified for Nitrox if you don't produce a card. You may have got a buddy to get the fills for you. I can see their point of view.

---------- Post added May 14th, 2013 at 05:46 PM ----------

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Dive Centres in Egypt will sting you on this one. If you can't show logbook proof of a dive in the last 6 months, its a refresher dive for you!

Well, technically the nitrox card isn't required for you to use a nitrox tank you bring yourself ... it's supposed to be required in order to get a nitrox fill, or to rent a tank filled with nitrox.
Hmm let's see... You need a nitrox card to get a nitrox fill, ok. Now what do you need to get an air fill or a rental tank? Normally at least something like an OWD card, right?

Now when you get to a dive charter and bring all your own gear, including an air tank, what do you need for them to let you on the boat? Normally you still need at least your OWD card, right? And if it's something like a deeper dive, you may need to produce an AOW card or something similar, right?

So why shouldn't that requirement also extend to diving nitrox, even if it's your own tank?

I know it's silly and I'm not saying that I agree with it, but I'm still able to follow their logic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom